Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2015 17:00

Inspiron 7720: "the ac power adapter cannot be determined"

I've had this problem for a while, now.  I get the "ac power adapter cannot be determined" every time I turn on the laptop.  Charger works when charging my other laptop.

When plugged in, the charger will maintain the current battery life, but will not actually charge it.

Blue light at the end of the charger comes on, and battery health is good.

I have tried:

Restarting the computer, turning the computer off over night, taking out the battery, taking out the battery and holding the power button for 15 seconds.  Any possible solutions would be appreciated. 

February 14th, 2015 20:00

Hi mikeallen1982,

Welcome to the Community.

Press the F2 key at the Dell Logo on startup to load into the Bios, and check what does it say next to AC adapter, if it says unknown, try another working adapter. If the working adapter works then its an issue with your ac adapter, if it says unknown in the BIOS then its a motherboard failure.

February 14th, 2015 21:00

Mohammed, thank you for your quick reply.  The BIOS says A15.  I took this charger, and hooked it up to another computer, and it worked just fine.  Then I used a different charger with this laptop, and got the same results:  maintains the current battery life, but wont charge it.  Could it be a port issue? 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 15th, 2015 03:00

Yes, and that would be the next thing to replace:

< >

If that doesn't solve the problem, the mainboard needs to be replaced.

February 16th, 2015 12:00

Thank you. 

No Events found!