Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2010 14:00

Inspiron 8000 automatically, uncontrollably going into standby every minute or two

Inspiron 8000, O.S- Me, has begun to just drop off to sleep, into standby (I think) or hibernation every minute or two. I have messed w the power settings on the control board but it has no effect on my narcoleptic laptop.

I have fiddled with the power settings, setting everything to never turn off. I have messed with the "laptop/portable, desktop/home office and always on" settings in the power settings on the control panel. I can't do very much because it keeps shutting itself down, if not off. Why is it doing this to me?

This computer is off line and has been for six years. No online capability.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 3rd, 2010 14:00

Still running ME??? I would guess the computer has reached the end of its very long life. Laptops don't normally last that long. Are you running on battery or adapter? Remove the battery and try just the adapter. If that doesn't work, buy a new computer. It's not worth the considerable expense of replacing anything on such an old model.

10 Posts

July 3rd, 2010 15:00

I actually have two batteries in it and they run down too quickly, even in tandem, to run on battery alone. So I have been running on adapter constantly. I thought that these have to have the battery in to run at all. That the power is routed through the battery. I will try running it directly on a/c, with no battery in it at all then.

Yes, I have had it for quite a while. I only use it off line for the past six years. It is still quite useful and hope to keep it running a while longer yet.

I am still open for any other answers as it will look awfully odd with two big holes in the front. Like my old Celica with the plastic wind-break  off the front.

I tried this and it does not have any effect. The computer still behaves narcoleptically. It does have a small, rectangular drop-down window that appears for an instant that has one word and "Standby" in it, which is why I think this has something to do with it going into standby mood automatically.

Another odd thing is that for the few moments that it is awake, it works just fine.

It also seems to stay on longer if I am not using it, at all. But then it quits anyway.

No Events found!