Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

March 30th, 2006 04:00

Inspiron 8000e keyboard problems

My Inspiron 8000e notebook's builtin keyboard has just stopped working.  No keys, aphabetic, numberic, function keys etc. work.  There is no echoing or any kind of sound when keys are pressed..  I have hooked up an external keyboard which works fine.  Re-booting does not work and neither does restoring the system to a previous version.  Do I have to replace the entire keyboard or is it possible there is just a loose wire connection somewhere?
Thanks for any help or insight you can offer.
John

11 Posts

April 2nd, 2006 16:00

I just had the same problem on an Inspiron 3500.  I took off the keyboard, pulled upward on the sides of the ZIF connector connecting the keyboard to the motherboard, pulled out the ribbon cable, pushed the ribbon cable back in, pushed down on the sides of the ZIF connector, put the keyboard back on, lost the little screwdriver so I can't put the keyboard screws back in, reconnected everything, turned it on, and the keyboard works again. You can find directions for removing the keyboard by clicking on Notebooks above, and entering your system model.  Losing the screwdriver may not be required on your model.  I used a needle nose pliers to pull on the sides of the connector.  It is a little dangerous because of ESD potential and bashing the motherboard potential but I couldn't get at it with my fingers.
No Events found!