Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2016 11:00

Inspiron N5050 shows wrong hard drive capacity

I put a new 1tb hard drive in my Inspiron N5050 to replace the 500gb one. I moved all my content to the new hard drive using the repair disc and system image I made from the old hard drive. Now when I go into "computer" it still shows the 500gb (actually 468gb) hard drive not the 1tb hard drive. How do I get the computer to recognize the proper hard drive capacity? Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where to put this post since it could be in several places.

22 Posts

April 12th, 2016 12:00

I found the answer to my question on YouTube (of all places). I now have 1 fully functioning section on my hard drive (no unallocated space). I should have done a little bit more searching before posting here, but thank you Dell Community for being here. PROBLEM SOLVED!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 11th, 2016 12:00

First: What does the BIOS report for the drive capacity?

Second:  was this a Dell Backup and Recovery image, or was it made using another utility - TrueImage, etc?

22 Posts

April 11th, 2016 16:00

!. It shows 1000gb

2. I used the Windows Backup and Recovery from the Control Panel. I followed the directions from the Microsoft website. Should I have used the Dell Backup and Recovery system? 

If there is an better way to do the swap, please let me know, I still have the old hard drive and I can swap it out quickly, all I'm out is time and I have plenty of that nowadays.

I just looked under "create and format hard disk partitions" and it shows 4 sections. The first section is 94mb, the second is 14.65mb marked Recovery, the third section is 451.01gb and is marked OS (C:), and the fourth section is 465.75gb and is marked Unallocated.

No Events found!