Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 13th, 2017 13:00

Inspiron i7-7779 120GB + 1TB

Inspiron i7-7779 120GB + 1TB.

Question 1: How are the two drives presented? As two separate drives with OS on the 128GB boot drive and Data on the 1TB or as some sort of RST presenting them as a single drive?

Question 2. If they are configured as two drives has anybody tried replacing the 1TB hard drive with a 1TB 2.5" SSD and removing the 128GB SSD. If so how did you go about it explaining steps with hopefully performing some sort of cloning?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 13th, 2017 14:00

Just so you know, the M.2 drive in the system is a SATA version.  I did not get mine in that configuration so not sure where everything is installed.  You can use Disk Management to know for sure or open an admin command prompt and use Diskpart.

If you do not yet have the system, it should tell you how it is configured.

Getting the bottom off the 7779 can be problematic.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

September 13th, 2017 14:00

The OS should be on the 120GB SSD, with the 1TB drive used for data storage.  You could replace the 1TB drive if you wanted and then clone the SSD to a larger SSD.  As for steps hopefully someone else has those as I haven't done that in forever lol.  

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 13th, 2017 15:00

With an SSD that large, RST wouldn't be used to have it operate only as a cache for the HDD.  When Dell implements that setup, they use 32GB SSDs.  You'd have them as two separate disks, although I suppose YOU could set up RST to have the 120GB SSD run as a cache if you really wanted to, as long as you were willing to install the OS onto your 1TB drive.

Replacing the 2.5" spinning drive with a 2.5" SSD is completely possible.  My favorite cloning tool is Macrium Reflect.  The Free version will do everything you need for that operation.  Basically you'd just need to install the 2.5" SSD either in the system or connected via USB, run a clone from the 120GB SSD to the new 2.5" SSD, then remove the 120GB SSD (and install the 2.5" SSD internally if you didn't do that already), and then boot the system off of your new 2.5" SSD.  I've done this several times.

No Events found!