Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2013 11:00

Insprion 6400 resolution help?

Hello,

I gotten this laptop around 2005-2006, it's a great laptop and I use it all the time. It originally ran on Windows XP Home Edition, and the resolution was 1280x800 or somewhere between that (I couldn't remember). Around 3 years ago, I upgraded it to Vista and I like that OS too but I today I wanted to downgrade to Windows XP Home Edition. I downloaded all of the correct software and drivers for it from the Dell website since the disc didn't have the original hardware in 2005-2006. Now, when I was using vista, I remember it using the resolution 1280x800 before I formatted my hard drive to install Windows XP. Now, here is when the problem comes in: The only 2 resolutions I can switch to is 800x600 and 1024x768. I really want the 1280x800 resolution but I don't know how to. I think my laptop used to run on Intel by the stickers on the laptop but I removed it a long time ago. Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks.

July 12th, 2013 18:00

Hi alex06128,

Thank you for sharing the information. It appears you system has been shipped with ATI video card. You may download the ATi video driver from Here. Follow the on-screen instruction and restart the computer when prompted.

You may also check the status of drivers in Device Manager by following the steps below :

• Press Windows + R button on keyboard
  • Type 'devmgmt.msc' without quotes and press Enter
  • Expand Other Devices and check if you have any yellow bang marks on any of the drivers. 
  • If possible please share a screenshot of Device Manager with Other Devices Expanded
  • Also, you may right click the device under Device Manager and click on Properties -> Details -> Hardware Id

Please share the Hardware Id's of devices with missing drivers (if any). Will take it further from there.

July 11th, 2013 12:00

Hi alex06128,

It appears the video drivers are missing from your system. Inspiron 6400 was shipped with Intel, ATi and nVidia video controllers. Please share the exact VGA controller shipped with your system model.

If you are not sure about the configuration, please share the system Service Tag via Private Message (Click on my name and click Start Conversation). I will look into the system details and determine further course of action.

5 Posts

July 11th, 2013 17:00

I don't know how to get the VGA controller shipped with the model and the sticker at the bottom of the laptop (where the service tag is) was ripped off.

5 Posts

July 11th, 2013 18:00

I was looking through my old folders and I found the part list for the laptop itself, do you need that instead of the service tag or the VGA controller?

2.4K Posts

July 11th, 2013 20:00

Look on the parts list and see if it says Nvidia  7300 or ATI 1400 or ATI 1300

5 Posts

July 12th, 2013 17:00

I can't find it, all I see on it are the base parts of the actual laptop (the screen, keyboard, hinges etc etc) and the software that was included with it (8.5 office, PowerDVD, windows media player 10)

but these parts may help

Module Card Graphics 256MB M52

Assembly Base discrete 6400

2.4K Posts

July 12th, 2013 17:00

Go here

www.dell.com/.../19

Let it Detect your service tag.

Once on the support page click on the Configuration tab

Copy and paste it here.

5 Posts

July 12th, 2013 22:00

Thank you! It worked! But when I restarted the laptop after installing the drivers, it looked like it was at 800x600, but when it went to the desktop, it switched back to 1280x800. No biggie. THANK YOU DELL-SUNDEEP B!!!!!!!!!!

July 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi alex06128,

I am glad the issue has been resolved. After installation of drivers it is normal for system to switch from lower to higher resolution.

Feel free to reach us if you have any further questions.

No Events found!