Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2013 01:00

Install SSHD as second drive, Win7, Dell Inspiron 7720

Hi everybody!

I recently bought an Inspiron 7720 with Win8 pre-installed. The only slow-down in its performance, is the 5400 rpm disk.

I installed a new SSHD (500GB Hybrid Seagate) as second drive and kept both drives. My thoughts are to have a dual boot using the SSHD with Win7 and leave the pre-installed drive intact with Win8.

I'm getting an error (0x80300024) before installing Win7, on the disk selection page for the installation. The SSHD is recognized both in BIOS and installation, as Disk 1.

Do I have to move it as 1st drive (Disk 0) in order to work? Do I have to partition it in a more "proper" way for the installation? I remember setting up Win7 on other pc's without any problem, even in a brand new unformatted disk. Setup takes care of everything.

If moving the pre-installed disk as second drive, will it loose it's ability to boot in Win8?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris 

July 24th, 2013 04:00

I've done it already with no success. Both with UEFI and Secure Boot ON and OFF, and Legacy with ON and OFF.

NO LUCK! :)

I communicated with Dell customer service, they recommended me to flash the latest BIOS if any help, but it didn't.

Last solution was to remove the pre-installed HD, set temporarily the SSHD as 1st Drive (Drive 0), install Windows 7. Once I finish installing, I'll change places the drives and alter the boot manually each time I want to boot to Windows 7.

This is my solution so far.

September 7th, 2013 09:00

Just for the info,

My steps were as I recommended in my last post.

Remove the pre-installed disk with Win8
Plug the Hybrid disk as the one and only (temporarily) primary Disk (Disk 0).
Install Win7 on the Hybrid disk.
Plug the pre-installed disk with Win8 as a Second Drive (Drive 1).

The funny thing is that even as a second drive, Win8 always boot when I open the Dell.

I simply press F12 quickly after I press the start button, it loads to BIOS where it gives me the choice to select the first Hard Drive.

Everything works as expected in both Win7 and Win8.

I'll search for a manual update in MBR of the disk and see if I can come up to a "Dual Boot" choice menu.

Cheers,
Dimitris Avramidis

July 23rd, 2013 02:00

Thanks for your answer Munawar P.

These are basic steps, all followed from the beginning.

I get the same error (0x80300024) in both ways, either setting a partition with the unallocated space or not.

Do I have to load any special driver or set something in BIOS?

The drive is brand new, never used anywhere. It's unformatted and seen as Disk 1. There's also the pre-installed disk as Drive 0 (with 6 partitions as preset from DELL).

July 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hi avramidis3d,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

I suggest that you try the following method.

1. Delete a partition, for example, drive D on the Disk 0.

2. Start to install Windows 7.

3. During installation, do not select any partitions, but choose "Drive Options".

4. Create a new partition with the unallocated space.

5. Continue to install

Please follow these steps and complete the Installation and let us know if this helps.

July 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi avramidis3d,

Thank you for your response,

We’ll have to disable the Secure Boot option, in order to allow a dual Operating System.

1. Please tap F2 and when you see the Dell logo which will take you to the BIOS screen

2. Select the Boot options

3. Under Boot options check and Disable the Secure Boot option

4. Save the settings and exit and restart the comp

5. Try Installing the Operating System as usual and check if that helps

Please try the above mentioned steps and reply us back with the findings.

July 25th, 2013 02:00

Hi avramidis3d,

I appreciate your research and it looks like a smart step for resolution, in fact we were about to recommend you this option,

Please try changing the drives and Install Windows 7 OS and let us know if that fixes the issue.

No Events found!