Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2012 11:00

Installing Project Sputnik

So I bought a new dell xps 13 because I needed a new laptop and have been wanting to learn linux for some time. The news of Project Sputnik made me decide to ultimately buy the dell xps 13 over the other options I was considering. That being said I have downloaded the sputnik disk image (md5 sum verified) and have been completely unable to get it to install or be recognized. I have changed the bios to boot from USB first and have been able to install ubuntu and backtrack 5 using unetbootin. However everytime I have tried installing sputnik it says no OS found on bootup. There is absolutely no information with regards to how to install the image on dells website or any other website so far as I can tell and since the xps 13 has no disk drive i see no other method of installation. What on earth am I missing? and can anyone provide any help and or guidance with this? Its been a week since I bought this machine and haven't been able to get it running anything I want it to. I can get linux running but missing a lot of key drivers, like audio, screen brightness, awake from sleep, etc.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 7th, 2012 15:00

Dquinn198

I don't have a lot of information on the installation process on Project Sputnik but here is what I have.  For a start though If you aren't familiar with the Blog, I suggest checking out Barton's blog at the following link

bartongeorge.net/.../introducing-project-sputnik-developer-laptop

Here is a link to the Install Image

hwe.ubuntu.com/.../dellxps

I looked through the readme and you are right there isn't much there.

I am sorry that I can't be more help personally,  I just haven't played around with Linux or it flavors much.  If you still can't find help let me know and I will see if I can't find some contacts that can provide help.

TB

2 Posts

June 7th, 2012 23:00

Thanks Terry, I have read through Barton's blog before but had missed the most recent entry unfortunately no info about the install. Additionally I have downloaded that image from dell and checked the sum but unfortunately as you saw there is little to no documentation on how to install that image. Most sources recommend 3rd party software such as unetbootin but as Sputnik is so new and more of a project I doubt there will be any 3rd party support. Since I can't mount the .iso and copy the volume over, boot directly from an .iso, or read a cd there must be somewhere way to get it installed. I am assuming it is fairly simple but I have no idea what else I can try other than more 3rd party software which doesn't support this distro. I know the problem has to be with how I am loading the image onto my flashdrive as I have used this flash drive to install other versions of Linux onto the dell xps 13. But they do not not have the drivers I need. Please any help with this would be appreciated.

1 Message

June 11th, 2012 07:00

I used the image to create a bootable USB. Installation worked like a breeze with that.

I think I used http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ for it, not sure if I made it on a Linux or Windows machine anymore.

5 Posts

September 7th, 2012 09:00

It may sound silly but have you used the usb 3.0 or the usb 2.0 port? I know there are problems using usb 3.0 port for windows recovery usb, so it may be the case for ubuntu as well.

No Events found!