Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2011 05:00

Installing new hard drive on Inspiron 6000

Well,

I guess my hard drive is done for so I'll have to have it replaced.  My Inspiron 6000 had a 80 gb hard drive and I was wondering if there was anything specific I should be looking for in replacing it.  For example, I think the hard drive is IDE instead of SATA and should be 120 gb or less otherwise the BIOS wont recognize all the space. 

I've been told that the current hard drive will have some sort of adapter on it that I should remove and attach to the new one to make it work.  With this in mind, should I be looking for a SATA hard drive and not an IDE?

Also, I'm going to have to reinstall windows on the new hard drive and I dont think that Dell sent me a copy of the windows xp CD/DVD when they sent me the laptop.  Is it possible/legal to download a copy of windows xp and install it using the product number on the sticker on my laptop?  It's windows xp media center edition otherwise I'd just use one of the home edition dvds that I have lying around.

I think the operating system is my secondary concern though and getting a compatible hard drive is more important.  I see notebook hard drives on sale for $40+ and want to make sure I'm getting the right kind.  My brother says just about any notebook hard drive will work, but I'm cautious about the SATA/IDE thing.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You must use an EIDE drive - SATA will not work. There is an adapter on the existing drive - pull it off and place it over the pins on the new drive exactly the same way it is mounted now.  Be careful - the pins underneath are flimsy and easily bent or broken.

Note that you CANNOT use any other Windows CD than a Dell OEM one unless you also have a license key for it - the license key on the system will not work with anything but a Dell OEM copy of WIndows.

You can order a Windows CD here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

That will work only in the USA - if you are elsewhere, contact Dell.

4 Posts

Thank you, I'll request a copy of the backup cd from Dell.  My laptop is 5 years old and the warranty expired a couple years back.  Will this be a factor?   If it costs a lot to get a windows cd I might just have to get one of those free open source operating systems.

Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

As long as you are the registered owner of the system, the disc is sent at no charge.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 17th, 2014 17:00

Dell offers a solid state drive (256GB) for the Inspiron 6000 laptop. It is a SATA drive. My question is, if it is not possible to install a SATA drive as You said, why does Dell sell a SATA replacement drive? That's kind of confusing, isn't it? Reason is that I just bought a replacement drive for my 6000 and it is SATA. It appears that this limitation has been truncated and that a SATA drive can be installed with updated drivers.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 17th, 2014 17:00

If Dell is offering a SATA drive for the 6000, it is in error.  The 6000 will not take any SATA SSD or hard drive - it takes only the older PATA type of drive.

It is not physically possible to connect a SATA drive to a 6000 mainboard.

No Events found!