RE: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for 7720 inspiron 17r special edition

Hi Pete,

Try the following steps and let me know the outcome.

Click on this link http://bit.ly/WHwgmi . Download the files named iusb3hub.inf and iusb3xhc.inf  and save them to the desktop.

Copy and paste these 2 files on the Usb extracted folder location under C drive > Dell > Drivers > Usb 3.0 Extracted Folder [Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver\Drivers\Win7\x64

Restart the computer and check the yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

0 Kudos
caddy10
1 Nickel

RE: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for 7720 inspiron 17r special edition

Hi Appu S

Thanks for trying so hard to assist me.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033977.htm?wapkw=intel+usb+3.0+extensible+host+cont...

Intel.com says - windows 8 has a native in-box usb 3.0 driver. Intel is not releasing a specific intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver for windows 8.

If you are upgrading windows 7 to windows 8, uninstall the intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver before installing the upgrade.

If i try to install intel (R) usb 3.0 extensible host controller driver for windows 7, i receive the following message -

'this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software'. No doubt due to the fact that i have windows 8 on my pc.

The procedure detailed at http:/bit.ly/WHwgmi does not work for me. It states that you can force windows to use the intel usb 3.0 host controller

drivers instead of the built in stack (windows 8) but this can only be carried out if the pc has 'intel(r) usb 3.0 extensible host controller' under usb controllers

in device manager. 

I did have this entry in device manager (usb controllers) with a yellow exclam. mark when i first purchased the pc but the line disappeared after i updated

this driver by searching on my pc.

I do not know how to get this line back into device manager & this is required in order to peform the procedure.

So i am stuck - Intel does not have usb 3.0 driver for windows 8 & if i try the driver for windows 7, i get an error message.

regards, Pete.

0 Kudos

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the response. Let me research on this issue. Please allow me 2-3 business days. I will keep you posted.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

0 Kudos

Hi Pete,

I have forwarded this case to the concerned team. I am awaiting a response. Will keep you posted.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
caddy10
1 Nickel

Thank you APPU S

I believe that the procedure as detailed at http:/bit.ly/WHwgmi is the correct procedure but unfortunately i lost the

'intel (R) USB 3.0 extensible host controller driver' in device manager when i tried to upgrade this driver.

An IT relative of mine spent hours looking at the problem & said that he has used that procedure before on other

computers with success but you need that line in device manager to upgrade drivers to intel drivers.

He suggested that i need to reinstall windows 8 to get the line back in device manager then to apply the procedure.

But that would require me purchasing another windows 8 license. Why should i have to do that as i have a legitimate

windows 8 license already.

An internet search shows that this problem is not isolated to my PC but many PC's worldwide have this problem.

Microsoft has failed to support USB 3.0 on all devices with their windows 8   and Intel will not release  USB 3.0 drivers for windows 8.

It is a sad reflection on the computer industry. I don't blame Dell because i think that they are just caught in the middle of this problem.

Regards Pete.

0 Kudos

Hi Pete,

To me, it seems to be a hardware issue. I believe you have already restored the computer to factory defaults. 

I can assist you in getting the parts replaced. You would need to provide the first and last name that appears on the account for verification purpose.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
rdtvimalraj
1 Copper

Hola Appu !

I'm too facing the same problem with the special edition 7720. Went for a Motherboard replacement today, but still facing the same problem.

Hope the issue lies with USB 3 Port & Win 8. Tried all the steps and suddenly the ports were working for some minutes with a message " Power surge on the USB Port" and again USB 3 Extensible host controller error came into the picture. I'm facing the problem for past 4 months, hope Dell should look on this issue at priority.   

- Vimal.

0 Kudos

Hi Vimal,

Please send me the service tag of the computer and the first and last name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Send a Private Message). Let me look into this and check the further course of action.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
caddy10
1 Nickel

Just had an interesting development which proves that it is not a hardware fault but it is indeed a software fault.

My son in law works in IT & he booted the computer from a Unbuntu (linex system) bootable USB flash drive inserted into one of the USB 3 ports on the computer. This proves that the USB ports do work. It also proves that there is a problem with the windows 8 drivers for USB 3 on the inspiron 7720.

Dell needs to sort this problem out. My dell inspiron 7720 is not the only computer that has this problem. Just check the internet.

regards Pete

0 Kudos
caddy10
1 Nickel

Forgot to mention that when the computer was booted normally into windows 8, the Ubuntu usb flash drive could  not be recognized although it was in exactly the same usb 3 drive when it had booted the computer.

0 Kudos