Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

34 Posts

November 29th, 2004 19:00

Intermittent 'Hard Drive Password' message on boot, D600 laptop

All of a sudden, when I boot up my laptop, I immediately get the 'HDD security' screen - Something like, 'Hard Disk xxxx-595B System Primary HDD is protected by a Password Authentication System'... . 

I have not set any 'bios-level' password of any kind on this laptop, ever - bios, hard drive, etc. 

If I simply press the power-button (off) and again (on), the system boots normally into XP.  This happens infrequently, but often enough to scare me to death!

Is there a known problem in this regard?  Should I explicitly set a password, then clear it? CAN I clear a HDD password, once set?

I did upgrade, a while back, to an 80 Gig Toshiba drive, from the original 40 Gig Hitachi or Fujitsu drive, using 'ghost' to move the image, but no problems occured right after the move. 

The laptop is a D600, Bios level A12.

2.6K Posts

November 30th, 2004 11:00

Steerpike58,

Thank you for using Dell's Community Forum.

I’d try updating (or just reinstalling) your system’s BIOS.

34 Posts

December 27th, 2004 23:00

I tried that - upgraded from A09 to A14, I believe.  No change. 

I have noticed the following.  When I boot the machine, the dell BIOS boot screen normally takes several seconds to complete, before transitioning to the black windows boot screen.  But when this 'hard drive password' problem occurs, the dell BIOS boot screen phase lasts for a much shorter time.

Also - today I took the hard drive from one Dell D600 to an identically configured one (but with BIOS A09 rather than A14) and saw the problem again. Simply powering the machine off, and back on, cured the problem (as always). 

Also - it may be that the problem only occurs when I hibernate. These days, I almost always hibernate rather than shut down.  After updating the bios, I rebooted several times (full shutdown/startup) and did not see the problem.  So could this issue be related to hibernation? Note - even though I 'Always' hibernate, the problem only crops up every now and then - maybe every other day, while I hibernate maybe 3 times per day.

Also - I tried setting, then clearing, a hard drive password.  After setting, the password screen always appeared, and after entering the password, I was always allowed into the system.  I then cleared the password, and was allowed into the system without an issue during several complete restarts.  But then I returned to my habit of hibernating, and I pretty quickly saw the bogus hard drive boot password screen again.  Is there any value in deleting and re-creating the hibernation file?

Thanks for any insight into this. I'm worried that someday I'm going to be completely locked out of the machine!

146 Posts

December 28th, 2004 13:00

FYI, hibernate is NOT faster than boot.  Run a test, time it.  XP boots just as fast, as it does to restore a hibernate.  The downside to hibernate, the system programs/services don't get reset like a normal cold boot, and many services don't know they are "reset" in hibernate, so they may not run correctly.  The only real upside to hibernate, is that you can leave programs open where you left off, but that may be a bad thing since it doesn't prompt for name/password.  So if you hibernate, and you lose your machine, someone can get access to your files when they power the machine on.  FYI

34 Posts

December 28th, 2004 14:00

I don't disagree with what you are saying, regarding the time taken to start fresh vs. un-hibernate.  However, for me, the BIG plus for hibernating is that I can leave everything open. Specifically, I may be researching/exploring several topics, and have 10-15 browser sessions active on various pages.  If I shutdown, those browser sessions close. If I hibernate, I am exactly where I was when I left off, with those 10-15 pages still 'open'.  Using 'history' to achieve the same purpose is tedious/useless, and the pages don't warrant being added as favorites.  Having those browser pages re-open 'as is' is a godsend.  I do have a setting that causes windows explorer (file manager) to reopen all sessions across a re-boot. And I do have problems with USB devices after hibernate; I typically have to go to device manager and re-scan the USB tree to get devices to be recognized - small price to pay, though. 

Anyway, to the subject at hand ... does no one else see this hard drive password issue?  Thanks!

34 Posts

December 28th, 2004 15:00

So you DO draw a link between the use of Hibernate and this intermittent HD password issue? 

Another observation/note: I have used hibernate for over a year now, with no problems.  All my problems seemed to begin when I upgraded from a 40 Gig HD to an 80 Gig HD (toshiba).  I used Ghost to move the image, without issue (we use ghost at work all the time for this kind of task - we have maybe 20 or so D600's at this point). 

I could try re-creating the hibernate file.

Regarding the USB issues vs re-opening web pages - I only use external USB devices occasionally, so only run into this once in a while, and the fix is easy.  On the other hand, I routinely end up with 10-20 web pages open as I research various and sundry topics ... then it's time to go home, or go to work, so I simply 'hibernate' to snapshot the whole machine state, un-hibernating an hour later at home or work.  It works so well for me!

3.2K Posts

December 28th, 2004 15:00

So you would rather have to go into the Device Manager and mess with a piece of hardware than load a few web page. Do what you like but don't expect this problem to go away if you continue to use the hibernate feature (It has never worked as planned and only causes problems). If anything it's going to get to a point where you will never get rid of the HDD password screen and since you have never set a password on it nothing you type will work. At that point you will either need a new HDD or a complete new system board and HDD.

Logic, watch out which type you use.

34 Posts

December 31st, 2004 23:00

I'm happy to report that, after re-creating the hibernate file (disable hibernation, then re-enable it), this problem seems to have gone away - have restatred several times.  Will keep you posted if it stays this way or not.

146 Posts

January 4th, 2005 12:00

Not to beat a dead horse, but I use Avant Browser.  It has a feature that allows you to save ALL open pages, and exit.  The time you open Avant Browser, it prompts to open ALL the pages, again, or selectively open individual pages.  Just FYI.  But I see you have resolved the issue by recreating the hibernate file.  Good news!  Stopping/ Starting services is probably still better in the long run, rather than utilizing hibernate, but hey.. if hibernate works for you, more power to you.

34 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 23:00

Just to keep anyone who's still interested informed, I stopped using 'hibernate' for a while and started shutting down completely each time.  The 'hard drive password' problem still occurred.  So it had nothing to do with hibernate, as I suspected.  It only happens once every, say, 10 boots. 

Does anyone know what might be triggering this?  I've applied the latest bios.  The only change (relative to the time prior to me getting this problem) was that I upgraded to an 80 gig Toshiba hard drive, using 'ghost' to transfer the image. 

FYI, in my case, booting from a complete shutdown is MUCH slower than from hibernated state, and while there may be problems for some using hibernate, it has been near-perfect for me.  I use my laptop on public transport and having the hibernate function allows me to work right up until I need to get off the train; I can leave all my applications open (word docs, emails, etc).  I do SAVE them before hibernating, so that when this annoying problem occurs (forcing me to hard-boot) I don't lose data.  But avoiding the startup time of word, outlook, a bunch of browser screens, etc is a big productivity enhancer for me.  For the very occasional times I have problems with peripherals, I can easily live with it. 

Thanks, Chris

3.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2005 20:00

About the only thing to try is a clean install of the OS and your programs.

I don;t remember you mentioning the HDD change and the ghosting/imaging of the new drive bit that could be the problem or it could be a problem with the HDD itself. you know there are some sellers out there that sell used parts as new. Could be that HDD was used by someone else and at one time a password set on it. I have never run into that problem but if there was a passowrd set on the HDD and NOT fully removed before it was sold to you that may be part of the problem. IIRC HDD passwords are not stored on the physical disks.

260 Posts

January 23rd, 2005 21:00

Dude, I use the Hibarnate all the time and have never seen this problem. If you have not tired this yet, Call Dell and have the tech walk you through Clearing you BIOS setting to factory defaults. We are not allow to post how to do this here.

Anyways, if you clear (erase) your BIOS setting to defaluts you may fix the corupt setting as upgrading trys to keep your current setting.
The other thing to try is check the connector on the Hard Drive. Make sure it is not dirty maybe try a different connector or hard drive. You said you put your hard drive into a different laptop and had the problem, dose his hard drive have that problem in your laptop.

34 Posts

January 24th, 2005 18:00

Regarding "The other thing to try is check the connector on the Hard Drive. Make sure it is not dirty maybe try a different connector or hard drive. " -  I DO notice that this hard drive slides in just a little too easily, compared to all the other hard drives I've ever inserted (I'm the IT guy for the company, and I do a LOT of hard drive swaps!).  So that could be it. 

So I'll pursue that. 

I've applied and removed a password to theoretically 'fully remove' a password.  I've updated the bios to the latest.  So not much else to do there, I don't think.  I wish I knew how this hard drive password thing worked, but I guess Dell want to remain tight-lipped about it to prevent hacking ... ;)

Thanks! 

34 Posts

August 16th, 2005 23:00

For what it's worth .... I bit the bullet and bought another 80 gig hard drive, imaged the old one to the new one, and I've never seen this error since.  So ... this does look like a hard drive problem.  That's probably the last toshiba drive I'll buy, sadly.  The new one is a Fujitsu. 

1 Message

October 19th, 2012 02:00

am onyia ifeanyi
All of a sudden, when I boot up my laptop, I immediately get the 'HDD security' screen - Something like, 'Hard Disk xxxx-595B System Primary HDD is protected by a Password Authentication System'... . 

I have not set any 'bios-level' password of any kind on this laptop, ever - bios, hard drive, etc. 

If I simply press the power-button (off) and again (on), the system boots normally into XP.  This happens infrequently, but often enough to scare me to death!

Is there a known problem in this regard?  Should I explicitly set a password, then clear it? CAN I clear a HDD password, once set?

I did upgrade, a while back, to an 80 Gig Toshiba drive, from the original 40 Gig Hitachi or Fujitsu drive, using 'ghost' to move the image, but no problems occured right after the move. 

The laptop is a D600, Bios

No Events found!