Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MR

June 7th, 2013 14:00

Intermittent freezing of touchpad on Inspiron 15z

The touchpad on my Inspiron 15z freezes-up a few times a day; the cursor suddenly won't respond and buttons stop working. Restarting the machine usually fixes the problem, until the next time...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

3 Posts

Thanks for the swift response Sujatha.

I updated the touchpad driver successfully, and tried to flash the BIOS, but got a "cannot flash to the same version" message.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked; the touchpad froze again almost straight away after restart.

The machine is only a couple of weeks old.

• 

3.3K Posts

Hi m-r-c,

I recommend you to flash BIOS and also update touchpad driver. Click on the link below and enter the system service tag to get the drivers for your computer:

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Note: While flashing BIOS connect the Ac adapter and make sure the battery has minimum 15% charge as this needs uninterrupted power supply. Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop.

Restart the system after the touchpad driver and check. In case you are finding difficulty in find the drivers let me know the Operating system and I will assist you further.

• 

3.3K Posts

June 7th, 2013 17:00

Hi  m-r-c,

Thank you for the update. I request you to run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Please reply to this post in case of any error

3 Posts

June 8th, 2013 03:00

Thanks. Diagnostics came back all ok, with no errors... I did the full version, which took around 40 mins.

Any other ideas?

• 

3.3K Posts

June 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi m-r-c,

Thank you for the update. I request you to check if the system freezes even in safe mode. To go to ‘Safe Mode’ restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F8 key every two seconds. In the ‘Advanced Boot options’ window using arrow keys,  select ‘Safe Mode’ and hit enter.

Also check by performing clean start up. Find the link below for instruction to clean start up:

http://bit.ly/dvkhDE

Let me know the findings.

1 Message

May 13th, 2014 09:00

I am having the same issue with my Inspiron 15Z.  It locks up and does not respond to either touchpad or external mouse.

3 Posts

September 14th, 2014 18:00

Same issue.. the touchpad locks up on my 15z from time to time.. it will come back, sometimes I need to switch between the Windows 8.1 metro screen and the Windows Desktop with the windows key and it comes back. This is quite annoying. How can it be fixed?

October 31st, 2014 04:00

The same thing happens to me too, and it's annoying.

It seems to be almost always when the laptop is under load, for instance when running a virus scan on the background, running simulations in Matlab, ...

First the gestures stop working (the drag from the right to get the Windows 8 charms, the two finger scrolling, ...), when I keep trying the cursor movement also stops responding. This all while the touchscreen does keep responding flawlessly.

Since this is only happening when under load, I presume the touchpad driver and/or task bar icon are the likely culprits. Trying to click the task bar icon a few times when unable to scroll resulted first in no reaction, then in explorer.exe restarting (task bar and window bars gone, coming back after a few seconds).

I would really like to see this fixed.

Thanks.

Jan-Pieter

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2014 12:00

Mine is also doing the same thing.  So four users on this forum in a short time with same problem...Dell, what is the solution?

1 Message

December 2nd, 2014 06:00

Having exactly the same problem. my inspiron 3000 15 is 4 days old.

No Events found!