Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2016 15:00

Internal speakers stay mute when external speakers disconnected

Help!

My external speakers work but my internal ones stay muted.  I have re-installed all drivers (Realtek) & problem won't go away. Also tried system restore & system scan shows no problem. 

Thanks

Dell  inspiron 7737
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16282 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 952889 MB, Free - 497561 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc.,
Antivirus: Norton Security, Updated and Enabled

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2016 06:00

Hello. After you re-install the Realtek audio driver, run the audio test in the ePSA diagnostic. If you cannot hear tones during the test, then the speakers have failed or become disconnected. If you do hear the tones then the speakers are okay.

You can test the driver by switching it with the Windows native driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one.

If you only have the symptoms with one of the drivers, then the other is at fault. If you have the same symptoms with both audio drivers, then it is very probably not a driver issue.

See the first part of the Headphone Jack FAQ for details about an issue that can cause some of the symptoms you describe.

The best test for determining if an issue is with the hardware or software is to perform a system recovery (revert back to original factory configuration) and test for the issue immediately afterward. If the issue is still there then it is in the hardware. If gone, it was the software (but this test assumes that the issue was not there when the laptop left the factory).

No Events found!