Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2017 06:00

Iris Graphics 540 not functioning on Dell XPS 13 9350

Hi all,

I have an annoying problem with my Dell XPS 13 with W10 Pro and Iris Graphics 540.

overnight the laptop stopped booting into windows:

1. power on the laptop

2. key in bitlocker pwd [before anyone says, disabling bitlocker does not fix the issue]

3. W10 loads initially (spinning circles)

4. The load screen flickers (just when the movement of circles goes from smooth to choppy) and then remains black. Forever.

5. Hard reset by pressing pwr for 4 seconds

Rinse & Repeat, endless loop.

When I enter into safe mode the windows boots using the basic VGA driver - laptop works perfectly fine. When I disable the iris graphics and do a clean restart - it goes into full windows. The moment I enable graphics driver - black screen straightaway.

If I uninstall graphics drivers completely whilst in safe mode and boot into windows I get about 15-20s before windows realises that basic driver is not good (at least it works) and installs Iris graphics... which cause the instant black screen.

I have tried about 3 sets of drivers (recommended from dell website and directly from intel) - nothing works.

I have since applied all the recommended dell updates for this laptop including flashing the BIOS. This helped for 1 boot when everything started working fine and I was able to jug between iris graphics and VGA while in windows - restarted the laptop and I am back at square 1.

Google search does not help at all.

Anyone able to help with this?

532 Posts

February 23rd, 2017 15:00

Hi Albert,

Welcome to our community.

We understand the importance of having a fully functional system. Please share the following details via private message, to send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’,

· Your Order#/Customer#/Service Tag/Express Service Code,
· The name the order was placed under and your
. Email address

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 00:00

I have been exchanging PMs with Lijo above and the suggested fix was to update the BIOS (apparently Dell released a newer version (few weeks old) that was not picked up when I did Dell Update.

So far so good, 24 hours without blackouts.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2017 03:00

Hi

I'm having the exact same problem as above, I have already flashed the BIOS to the latest version on the Dell support site - BIOS Ver 1.4.13 but it has not fixed the blank screen issue.

I can remote into the laptop and delete the Intel Iris graphics driver, replacing it with a generic VGA driver and the screen comes back to life, but it soon get's replaced by the proper driver and screen goes blank again.

Is there a newer version BIOS that I can try or does anyone have any more suggestions ?

Should I open a new thread for this issue ?

Alan

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 15th, 2017 08:00

Hi Alanb-ms - this is the BIOS I have been given from Lijo, please try this and let me know.

http://dell.to/2llGqgn

It is 1.4.13 but I believe it's slightly newer than the one on Dell support site. This is the one that fixed the issue for me.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2017 09:00

Hi albert_chuckles,

ok I downloaded that BIOS and applied it - it did seem to have some additional features compared to the 1.4.13 from the Dell site. Unfortunately after applying it and rebooting then installing the Intel Iris 540 driver I get the blank screen again.

Maybe the system board that Dell replaced last week is also faulty.

thanks for the link

Alan

May 10th, 2017 17:00

Did you ever resolve this?  MY XPS 13 is now playing exactly the same trick.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 12th, 2017 01:00

Hi Andrew,

Apologies it took me a day, my own XPS 8900 was playing up a bit which was nothing related to the hardware.

Anyway back to the topic.

To answer shortly - YES - I have resolved this. The BIOS fix posted above worked for about 6 weeks after which the XPS just dropped dead. No response whatsoever, screen black regardless what I tried.

It took about 4 hours on the phone with Dell bickering and fighting about the warranty repair and then a technician came round and... replaced nearly everything except RAM, SSD, keyboard, fan.

So it is hard to pinpoint the issue - could have been the screen as well, the board, who knows after they did scattered gun (i.e. replace everything and hope it works) - contact Dell and get them to send someone.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Fingers crossed mate!

1 Message

May 16th, 2017 13:00

I have a similar issue only I cant even boot to safe mode. I've had the nvidia disabled in device manager because it always seemed to cause crashes and I think a recent windows update re-enabled it. Is there any way to test the nvidia graphics in the ePSA tests, I noticed it only recognizes a 3mb video card and all the test are at 3mb.

No Events found!