Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

Z

9 Posts

January 29th, 2006 06:00

Is there a port replicator/dock for INSPIRON E1705?

I have an INSPIRON E1705 ordered.  I'm looking to purchase a port replicator or docking station for it that HAS a DVI port on it also.

I can't find one on the website, does anyone have more info on this?  I have found some INSPIRON port replicators on the website that do have a dvi connector on it but in it's specifications do not list E1705.

I want to get one, someone please help me.

1 Message

February 11th, 2006 15:00

I am also interested in a docking station for this machine. One with DVI out as well as PS/2 ports for mouse & keyboard. I plan to use this machine for audio production, and in general it's a good idea to not have mouse/keyboard info on the USB bus along with audio/midi data.

23 Posts

February 16th, 2006 11:00

Any update to this? I just ordered my E-1705 and really need the port replicator for my home office.

9 Posts

February 16th, 2006 19:00

I don't think there is one right now.  After receiving the the E1705 a few weeks ago, I've inspected the unit and the model i recieved does not have any "docking ports".

First of all the back side of this model has your standard connectors, and no docking port/connector on it that would allow it to fit a PRX port, the kind for a Lattitude C800.  I repeat there is no docking port connector on the back side.

Secondly on the bottom side, there is a docking slot "cut out" similar to the one a Lattitude D600 has.  But it's covered or in other words, the slot isn't cut out.  I presume this board doesn't have a dock connector on the bottom side but I'll leave that up to someone else to take it apart or cut out the piece one the bottom of the board.

Otherwise, I do like the unit. I just wish I ddin't have to connect the power cable and dvi to it every morning.  Sliding it into a dock would be much more convinient.

23 Posts

February 16th, 2006 21:00

Oh I really hope that isn't true. I just ordered mine this morning, every laptop I have had in the last 10 years has had a dock port, how can it NOT have one??

Dell really does some screwy things that should be so basic sometimes....they excel in so many areas and then get weird in one and ruin a whole product SKU and then wonder why it doesnt sell as well.

Dell, please make an offical comment on this so us customers can make the right decisions on our purchase. I need a docking port!

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2006 11:00

It is a little different than other port replicators, but there is one.  I am ordering it now so I can't promise that it works like all the others but the Dell rep that I spoke to assured me that it is what I'm looking for.  It connects to the laptop via a USB port not a typical docking port.  Link below.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

9 Posts

April 8th, 2006 02:00

The only thing about that port replicator is that is doesn't have a DVI port like on the other docking stations.  That's the main reason I wan'ted a dock for the e1705.  All my other peripherals connect via bluetooth or wireless.
No Events found!