Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2014 16:00

Issues when plugging into AC power cord

Each time I plug my computer into a power source, the entire monitor turns colors and flashes.  I have to shut down and reboot every time. 

Most recently, I plugged a mouse into the USB port and the same thing happened.  Anyone ever see this?

615 Posts

March 4th, 2014 04:00

Hi Mpinster,

Understood. Glad you were able to clear that up. There isn't a specific order requirement for plugging in your power supply/charger so the symptom you describe that occurs when connecting to household current first should be considered an indication that something is GOING...not gone yet but going wrong with the power supply and it should be replaced at your very nearest opportunity. Power supply problems can be potentially catastrophic. Think of the power supply module as the only barrier between house current and your 19v DC laptop and you'll get a good idea of what that implies. Make sure you take down the Dell Adapter Family PA-xx number and simply order one from Dell, or find an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer...Dell) replacement from your favorite computer store or online site. Dell (and most other laptop Mfgs) use proprietary hardware allowing the power supply, computer and battery to "talk" to each other. I don't recommend taking a chance on a generic charger or a so called universal. Sometimes a house current without a dedicated ground (2 wire construction) will produce an electrical arch if the power supply is plugged into the wall without being connected to the laptop. That may be PART of your problem but there still should not be any symptoms beyond that.  If this answer was helpful please remember to hit the yes button and if you need further assistance please don't hesitate to contact.

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 17:00

It can be either a surge protector or this week, because I'm working at home, just my regular wall outlet.  The odd thing is that if I plug the cord into my PC first and then the outlet (or surge protector), it typically works.  If I plug it into the outlet first and then my PC, forget it.  I'm done.

615 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 17:00

MPINSTER,

When you say "into A  power source" what do you mean? What kind of power source are you talking about?

3 Posts

March 4th, 2014 14:00

Thank you!  I will get our IT to purchase a new one for me. 

No Events found!