Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2013 21:00

Issues with dual video cards on the Inspiron 15r Special Edition

M7730y laptop is the Inspiron 15r Special Edition running Windows 8. I have 8 gigabytes of RAM and 1 terabyte of Hard drive space. The laptop is little more than a month old. My original problem was unexpected shutdowns, which I have found was due to overheating. The overheating is caused by the computer's use of two video cards: the Intel(R) HD 4000 and the AMD Radeon HD 7730. Both drivers came preinstalled upon purchase of the computer. The issue is that both graphics cards are running simultaneously, overheating the laptop and causing the random shutdowns. I an fix this issue by disabling the driver for one of the cards, however, this causes a new problem. Each graphics driver is dependent on the other (something I didn't know was possible), and disabling one causes severe issues for the other, such as resizing of my start menu icons and locking my brightness at 100%, with no way to change it. I'm looking for one of two solutions:

1. Instruct me how to properly setup my computer so that only one video card (preferably the AMD Radeon), is in use and is independent of the other,

Or

2. Inform me of another way to regulate my computers overheating issues that allows both drivers to run at once. I have already installed the latest BIOS, and external cooling hardware will not work. The computer is practically new so dust build-up is not an issue. So please do not suggest those as solutions.

249 Posts

July 10th, 2013 01:00

Hi Mr. Clayton,

Good day and welcome to the community!

Am sorry to hear about the trouble. Based on the details you have provided, it is impossible for both cards to run the same time. Issue may have been with overheating and part replacement may be a resolution since BIOS has alraedy been updated and no dust build up on air vents. Please do accept my friend request, once done kindly send the Service tag of the system, name on account, address, contact phone and email. I'll review system details further and let me see what can be done best to resolve issue. Glad to help.

Thanks and Regards,

249 Posts

July 11th, 2013 04:00

Hi Mr. Clayton,

Doing a follow up. If further assistance is needed, just let me know and I'm glad to help.

Thanks and Regards,

1 Message

April 2nd, 2014 01:00

I've actually been having the same overheating problem for about 4 months now. It's really inconvenient since i'm a gamer, and i therefore often stress my computer with tasks that would heat up a perfectly functioning computer. The thing is that it's been overheating and shutting off from things as simple as watching videos on the web, or even 2D rendering in games.

Also, since shortly after i bought this Inspiron 15R SE, i've never been able to get my AMD Raddeon 7730M to work properly. I've tried updating my BIOS and the AMD drivers, and even reinstalling all related software, but on Device Manager it says that it's not working properly, and my computer also always performs below what you'd expect for a such a good video card.

Hopefully there's something i can do to fix these issues, since i've been trying on and off for over a year now

1 Message

April 10th, 2014 22:00

Hi everybody,

I am having the same issue. At the beginning was just a problem of overheating but 2 weeks ago My Dell starrted to shut down suddenly even for some easy operations like playing a movie.

Did you solve your problem? How? Can anyone give me a solution?

It is my first experience with Dell and may be the last.

Flip90

No Events found!