Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2013 03:00

Issues with switchable graphics on Windows 8.1

I own an Inspiron 14Z 5423, which came with Windows 8. The device has switchable graphics, which can be configure through the AMD Catalyst Control Center. However, after the upgrade to Windows 8.1, the AMD Graphics Card no longer works. If I set a program to run with the AMD Card (on the Catalyst Control Center), the program crashes. I can only run games, for example, with the Intel HD Graphics 4000. I tried reinstalling all drives from the CD that came with the computer, as wells as from the Dell website. None of them worked. I reverted back to Windows 8 and everything worked fine with the drivers provided on the CD. But now I am back to Windows 8.1 to try again. Invariably, the drivers provided on the Dell website never worked, on either operational systems. Has anyone had this issue adressed?

Conclusion: my AMD card is currently useless and I don't plan going back to windows 8, since the upgrade to 8.1 is not major and should not ruin the drivers. Also, it would be really nice if Dell could update the graphics drivers provided on the website to meet AMD's new releases.

Thank you.

• 

3.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 03:00

Hi brunocasagrande,

Please update Intel and AMD drives for Windows 8.1 from the links given below:

Intel HD graphics: http://dell.to/GZyywJ
AMD Radeon HD 7570M:
http://dell.to/18Fy75d

Install the Intel graphics drivers first and then the AMD driver. Restart the system after each update. Let me know the status after the updates.

October 22nd, 2013 07:00

Thanks :D I did that, and now my games work, however, I'm experiencing really poor performance when running with the AMD card. I compared Skyrim on both Intel and AMD, with the same settings and in the same place in the game, and I'm getting less than half FPS with the AMD card. Even the menu lags. On windows 8 with the older drivers I used to get at least 50% more with the AMD card. What could be the issue?

October 22nd, 2013 19:00

Just to complement, after the Intel Drivers install I rebooted and ran Skyrim, achieving 27-30 fps. Then I installed the AMD drivers, rebooted and configured skyrim to run on High Performance on the Catalyst Control Center. The game started but I didn't get any more than 16 fps, with average of 12. When configuring Skyrim to then run on the Intel card, it achieved again 30 fps.

• 

3.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 07:00

Hi brunocasagrande,

I recommend you to clean the air vents with a can of compressed air. Also perform the steps given in the link below:

http://dell.to/16v5iVm

Note: Although the link says it is for Windows 7 Operating system, you may perform the steps even in Widows 8.

Let me know if this helps.

October 25th, 2013 00:00

I did that, but I'm afraid the hardware is not the problem or the OS. I rolled back to Windows 8 again and everything worked fine. I reinstaled Windows 8.1, the drivers you provided and when running games on the AMD card the performance is far lower than before. I updated DirectX and reinstalled my games. No solution. I can't play any games, I might have to go back do Windows 8 definitely, which is a shame. Dell should provide the option to deactivate Intel HD 4000 once and for all, like other manufacturers do, that way we could install drivers directly from AMD and we would be sure it would work, I've only had issues so far. Thanks for the help :D

3 Posts

November 11th, 2013 07:00

I agree with Brunocasagrande.  I went through same problems and experience after installing Windows 8.1 on my Inspiron One 2330 (Touch Screen with AMD HD7650A).    Dell should fix the problems with new drivers.

1 Message

February 7th, 2014 10:00

bother i have same problem down here my switchable graphics have been crashed .. i have dell n5537 with amd 8670 

2 Posts

February 7th, 2014 15:00

any update to this issue DELL........? its been open a long time in multiple threads....!!!!!!!!

3 Posts

March 24th, 2014 11:00

Me too having issues with switchable graphics... Dell inspiron 3537 with AMD Radeon 8850 and Windows 8.1. I bought a laptop with high performance graphics card and I end up using Intel shared...drama!

5 Posts

March 24th, 2014 12:00

It seems, it is a common issue when AMD and Intel graphics are together.

Maybe you can try procedure described in following threads. They are for different laptop type but the cause of the problem was the same.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19542884.aspx?pi239031352=3

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19537909/20492674.aspx#20492674

3 Posts

March 24th, 2014 13:00

I have searched in many forums and I have seen many alchemies, but the 99% of them wont work. I have tried many things myself too.

I would prefer an official Dell answer for who is to blame for this bug (Dell, Microsoft, Intel or AMD) and how they are planning to fix it...Do we have to wait a few months for a driver? Do we have to revert from Win 8.1 to Win 8?Do we have to ask for refund? This is  a huge issue and I would like to see an official response from Dell, which at this time silences annoyingly. 

1 Message

April 23rd, 2014 15:00

I have the same issue here. I would like a solution provided by Dell allowing us to keep both the performances and Windows 8.1...

1 Message

June 13th, 2014 02:00

Same problem here.

Inspiron 14z, 8GB RAM, I7, 256 GB SDD and has really poor performances.

1 Message

June 19th, 2014 18:00

I've got the same problem with an INspiron 17 3721 with switchable graphics and in windows 8 my games work fine, but in 8.1 the performances are poor. I followed multiple threads. but no awnser came from that. It is time Dell deals with this problem. I bought this laptop so that I could play games en now I feel like I've thrown my money away.

1 Message

June 30th, 2014 13:00

I also have a Inspiron 14Z 5423, and the same problem! It's a shame... And Dell doesn't fix this problem... Poor service!!! I'm disappointed.

No Events found!