Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2016 15:00

Keyboard issue : holding ctrl+shift+left/right arrow doesn't work

Hi,

I bought a Dell laptop (Inspiron 17/5000 Series) last month and when I edit text, for example in Microsoft Word, I can press CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT ARROW to select one word. But if I hold the keys, it doesn't continue highlighting text. It is highly annoying, as I would always use that function as part of my job. I checked with an external keyboard, and it worked perfectly fine (it would keep on highlighting more and more text as I held the keys).

Is there any way I can fix my laptop or change settings to make that work? I'll have to return the laptop if I can't fix this.

Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

We would suggest you check if the on screen Keyboard is working fine .

Try the Ctrl & Shift keys on the right side on the key board .Boot into BIOS and let us know if the Right and Left keys are working .

Kindly private message the service tag to the system.

Thanks

Robin

March 16th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply. 

My onscreen keyboard is working fine and the right and left keys are working in the BIOS as well. Actually, each of my keyboard keys works fine individually, it is just the specific combination described above that doesn't work on my physical laptop keyboard.

Also, I tried holding  ctrl (right side) +shift (right side of the keyboard)+left/right arrow, and it is working, but it is highlighting text much slower than on the left side on a normally working keyboard. I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear, but the speed seems to be different when using the right side vs. the left side of the keyboard. I tried this with the onscreen keyboard and on another computer, and holding ctrl+shift+left/right arrow highlights text much more quickly when using the left-side ctrl and shift keys than when using those keys on the right side. And I need the left side speed.

I'll now try to message you the service tag. UPDATE : How do I do that? Sorry!

Thanks again.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 16th, 2016 11:00

:emotion-2:

Windows 10:

1. Press the windows key and X key at the same time

2. Click Control Panel

3. Ease Of Access

4. Change how your keyboard works

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 16th, 2016 11:00

Or......

How to fix keyboard problems in windows 10 laptops and desktops

www.youtube.com/watch

March 16th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

My issue still isn't fixed, as I explained below.. I'm trying to figure out how I can private message you the service tag, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

March 16th, 2016 14:00

Hi and thank you!

Unfortunately, this hasn't solved my issue. I selected the shortest and the fastest on the screen above, but still, the key combination is not quicker...

Also, if you check on your own keyboard, holding ctrl+shift+left/right arrow highlights text much more quickly when using the ctrl and shift keys on the left side of the keyboard than when using the keys on the right side... As for me, it only works on the right side, but I need it to work on the left side too (for speed and convenience).

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 16th, 2016 14:00

You can add DELL-Robin D (Click on Dell Robin, then Add as a friend) on your list and you will be able to Private Message the details

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 21st, 2016 08:00

Hi Sophiebesoindaide,

You can add me to the list and send me a private message.

Sorry about the Delay in response as i was out of office .

Thanks

Robin

13 Posts

January 16th, 2017 08:00

I too have this problem on my Dell Inspiron 5000 series when selecting text.

Ctrl+Shift+Arrow only works to highlight one word at a time. You must re-press the arrow for each word. Annoying as ***! Oddly, if you use the right side Ctrl+Shift you can simply hold down the arrow to continue to select words - like every keyboard I've used in my life.

This is probably a bug - being that it's only a problem with the left Ctrl+Shift.

Please fIx!

January 17th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

I ended up returning my laptop to Dell and they fixed the issue.

Good luck!

13 Posts

February 5th, 2017 15:00

Good for you! Did they fix yours, or give you a replacement?

February 6th, 2017 06:00

They fixed it.

1 Message

March 2nd, 2017 06:00

I am having precisely the same issue with my Inspiron 5000 series.  Works with the keys on the right side, but not the left.  This is a huge issue for me.  I am an editor, and the ability to navigate and highlight groups of text very quickly is vital.  Please advise.

No Events found!