Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

6 Posts

September 28th, 2003 20:00

Keyboard producing double-spaces

Recently my keyboard space bar seems to be playing up. Not always writing a space and on other occasions writing two.

Any ideas of the problem? Is this dirt? drivers? bios? etc

Please help - its driving me crazy!!

3.1K Posts

September 29th, 2003 21:00

Mgx2972,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

There is a solution to this posted in the Keyboard / Pointing Devices FAQ.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2003 02:00

I have  a similar problem on my 8000 (win ME) with the double spaces, but it also  includes some  double letters, or letters that randomly fail to respond.  also my left control and right  shift are a little questionable in their reliability.  If I consult #4 of the FAQs, do I need to try to do as many as possible (ie, find the reset button AND reset the BIOS)?  This problem pretty much suddenly appeared, it was never an issue much before.  What detailed instructions  can I get in checking  to  see if this is a driver problem or a keyboard problem?

6 Posts

October 16th, 2003 19:00

I have updated my bios to the latest version and tried uninstalling the keyboard and rebooting.

Neither have made any difference to the space bar problem.

Any other suggestions?

6 Posts

October 30th, 2003 12:00

HELP!    STILL  NOT   WORKING

295 Posts

November 2nd, 2003 22:00

MGx2972,

Perhaps your Repeat Rate / Delay is set incorrectly. Go to Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Keyboard. Check the setting on this screen or change them to see if it helps. Hope this is helpful.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2003 19:00

I have checked that and it seems to be ok. Thanks.

January 27th, 2004 07:00

Had the same problem--seems to be common! In my case, it turned out to be contaminated contacts. I fixed this on my i8000 by pulling off the keys (CAREFULLY), and cleaning all the hair and crud that had accumulated under most of the keys. Works great now.

Dave

1 Message

January 29th, 2004 21:00

I tried removing all the keys to clean them and now my spacebar is sticking, any ideas how to fixit or to get it back into place?

3.1K Posts

January 30th, 2004 12:00

@amywu11 wrote:
I tried removing all the keys to clean them and now my spacebar is sticking, any ideas how to fixit or to get it back into place?

amywu11,

There are instructions for replacing keys posted in the Keyboard / Pointing Devices FAQ.

No Events found!