Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2013 07:00

LED error code problem.

Hi all, this is my first post here so be gentle. ^_^

I have been fixing PC's and laptops for a few years quite succesfully but this is winning so need a Dell tech for help.

The laptop in question is;

Dell Inspiron 1501

Model number:- PP23LA

Service tag:- <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

It's way out of warranty so the chap asked what I could do with it as money is tight. The LED error code is solid Caps lock and flashing Scroll lock which I can find no info on and I can't believe no one in the Google universe has come across. The power is OK, the fan is OK, the modem is OK, the Wi-Fi card is OK. I've swapped out the RAM modules and the HDD. I've changed the button cell for the BIOS. I've done a complete strip-down and clean. I've reapplied TIM to the CPU and a new thermal pad to the GPU(onboard). I've done the power reset thingy(?). I've hooked the lappy to a external monitor and keyboard with no joy.

Any one out there KNOW what this error code is for please?

Thanks,

Jusyn.

1.3K Posts

August 17th, 2013 08:00

Hi Jusyn,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

The solid Caps Lock and flashing Scroll Lock LED error code is indicative of USB initialization failure. 

You need to remove any USB devices (which you may have already done since you have removed several internal hardware components previously) or replace the system board.

The link below may be helpful:

Notebooks cannot complete POST:  http://dell.to/10NjwN5

Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2013 08:00

Is the num lock solid on, off or flashing?

5 Posts

August 17th, 2013 09:00

@ejn63 - Number lock LED is off.

@ DELL-Babita S - Thanks for the pointer. Had a feeling it might be that, and yes, all devices have been removed(including the internal devices possibly using the USB controller). But why does the laptop not start just because the USB fault? I've had desktop Mobos work just fine when a USB IC chip has failed. Could you give me any info on the chip used please as I might try to replace it from a donor unit?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2013 09:00

The USB controller is integrated into the chipset - you can't replace that chip.  If you want to fix the system you'll need a replacement mainboard.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

5 Posts

August 17th, 2013 10:00

QFN soldering job then?

5 Posts

@jn63 - Even the host controller chips? As you yourself said, i's a chipset(more than one). ATI Southbridge is the chip under the Wi-Fi card I take it?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It is part of the southbridge yes - I suppose if you can find the chip and have the equipment, you can change it.  It's certainly not doable with a handheld soldering iron though.  It may not even be the chip that's bad - could be a cold solder joint somewhere.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Yes.  The chips are often bonded to the board with adhesive as well - the chance of successfully replacing a chip that was initially soldered by machine is not high.

5 Posts

August 17th, 2013 13:00

@enj63 - Cheers. Thanks for the extra help.

No Events found!