Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2015 11:00

Laptop Mods - having trouble finding correct drivers

I have a Dell Latitude, D630 [old now, I know but, perfect for what i'm using it for] I've exchanged the HDD for an SSD, Added extra RAM, Got hold of a Genuine Intel Extreme, X9000, Duo Core CPU, And installed Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium..

It runs like a dream, fast, furious, perfect but,

Trying to find the correct drivers is sometimes a pain in the backside and as a result my DVD writer no longer burns cd's or dvd's , although it still plays well.

Most drivers i've found pretty easy, just by serching for them individually on the Dell driver support site, but some seem to be hard to get hold of because the dell support site recognizes my Dell Latitude D630 but does not recognize the changes i've made. The OS, for example, shows up as XP and there's no option to change it to win764, the only options go up to vista64bit but no higher ??!!??

Any help and advice would be great especially since there will be drivers i don't know the name of, therefor, can't do an individual search.

Like I said most of it works well, better than well but i'm having a few teething problems.

Thank you All, hope to hear something soon, Cheers Comrades!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 1st, 2015 04:00

Hi j.j.blann,

Dell Latitude D630 has not been tested for Windows 7 operating system. However you can use the Windows vista operating system driver and install it on compatibility mode.

Any DVD drive on the Windows has a native driver from the operating system. please follow the instructions in the link below to fix the issue with the DVD drive.

http://dell.to/1bhPslf

If the Fixit tool does not fix the issue then please perform the manual steps under Resolution 3: Manually fix corrupted registry entries in the link.

In addition, I would like to know the ‘Hardware ID’ any hardware with exclamation mark or unknown device.. Please follow the steps mentioned below to find the ‘Hardware ID’ in device manager.

1. Open Device manager.
  2. Right click on the ‘Unknown device’ and select ‘Properties’.
  3. Click on ‘Details’ tab.
  4. Under ‘Property’ there should be drop down.
  5. Please select ‘Hardware IDs’ from the drop down.
  6. Please give us the details you find under values.

1 Message

June 8th, 2015 12:00

hay!!!name is abb...i have lattitude e6400.windows 7 loaded.but mouse is not working....Why??? 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 8th, 2015 21:00

Hi abb Ansari,

I would suggest you to connect an external USB mouse to the system. I would suggest you to update the BIOS and touchpad drivers on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’ then download the BIOS from BIOS section and touch pad driver from ‘Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices’ section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

July 4th, 2016 08:00

Thank You Mr. Ravi BC

I had another problem with the Laptop and decided to "Fresh Install" Win7. I'm not sure what happened differently, but the Correct drivers installed this time around. Here's the new Hardware Ids for the DVD drive in case they're still of any use to anyone -

*TEAC DVD-ROM DV28EV ATA Device***

IDE\CdRom TEAC_DVD-ROM_DV28EV_________R.AB_____

IDE\TEAC_DVD-ROM_DV28EV_________R.AB_____

IDE\CdRom TEAC_DVD-ROM_DV28EV_________

TEAC_DVD-ROM_DV28EV_________R.AB_____

GenCdRom

No Events found!