Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2013 17:00

Laptop Shuts Down while on Sleep mode

Hello.

My Inspiron N5110 laptop has a weird issue.

At very rare times, my laptop shuts down after I put it on sleep mode.

I know when it's happening because the power light doesn't flash.

When I turn it on again I receive the Windows message that has recovered from an unexpected shutdown.

As far as I remember it happened 4-5 times.

All of the times I only had Firefox (with lots of tabs) running and nothing else.

By the way, my laptop had other issues in the past including, problems in the fan, -and since the day I bought it-, it had speakers and hard disk problems.

I got these parts replaced and they seem to be running in diagnostics with no errors (except for the fan which still makes weird loud noises, might have to replace it again).

If this also helps, my laptop is always plugged in.

It's very important for me to get it fixed because I am a student and don't want to lose anything important.

Thank you in advance.

1.5K Posts

August 19th, 2013 17:00

Hi Nevol,

You may uninstall and reinstall the display drivers and update the system BIOS. For BIOS updates please refer to the link: http://dell.to/1eYigyq.

Please share the operating system installed and paste the screenshot of ‘Device Manager’ with ‘Display Adapters’ expended.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

15 Posts

August 20th, 2013 07:00

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I tried to update the system BIOS but I receive the message "Can't flash to the same BIOS version", probably because I have already updated it.

1.5K Posts

August 20th, 2013 18:00

Hi Nevol,

As the system is shipped with NVidia optimus technology, you may completely uninstall and reinstall the ‘Display Adapters’. Please follow the steps below:

• Open ‘Device Manager’
  • Click > sign next to ‘Display Adapters’.
  • Right click the entries (Intel as well as Nvidia) listed under ‘Display Adapters’ and click ‘uninstall’.

Now install the Intel driver first and then install the NVidia drivers. Please refer to the links below:

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

15 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 10:00

I have reinstalled the Display Adapters.

When I uninstalled the Intel driver it automatically started to install it again.

I downloaded the drivers from the links and started to install them.

But because the drivers you gave me are outdated, for the Intel driver it asked me if I want to install the older version over the new one which was installed, and I clicked yes.

Also with these older versions I think that my laptop is getting hotter than before, I might be wrong though.

Now that I have them installed is it okay to update them so I avoid any further problems?

How do the Display drivers have anything to do with the problem?

Does anyone else have the same problem as I? I did a small search and I haven't find anything.

1.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2013 18:00

Hi Nevol,

You may go ahead and install the latest Intel drivers. Please let me know if the original issue still exists.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

15 Posts

August 25th, 2013 15:00

Happened again.

In addition to this issue, I am getting another similar issue.

When I close the lid it normally puts the laptop on sleep mode.

But there are some times that the power is still on, after I close the lid, and the screen turns black.

Laptop doesn't seem to be running in sleep mode, but it's like it's not responding.

So I am forced to shut it down from the button to get it work again.

1.5K Posts

August 26th, 2013 17:00

Hi Nevol,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

15 Posts

August 27th, 2013 05:00

The quick-automatic test completes with no errors.

But when I run the Thorough Test Mode it stuck on the hard drive, 94% and it was there for about 30 minutes until I canceled it.

When I only run the hard drive test it is stuck on 10%.

1.5K Posts

August 28th, 2013 19:00

Hi Nevol,

It seems the issue is with the system hard drive. It is failing and needed to be replaced.

If you are residing in the US, you may contact dell spares to check for the price. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/11GOIPD. For Owner’s Manual, please refer to the link: http://bit.ly/11R8yLX.

15 Posts

August 29th, 2013 06:00

Funny thing is the original hard drive was failing and had it replaced with the current one about a month ago.

Okay then, I will get it replaced again and hopefully this will resolve the issue.

1.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi Nevol,

I hope you get a working HDD this time and the issue should be resolved.

Please feel free to reply. I will be glad to assist you.

15 Posts

September 9th, 2013 09:00

Hello.

There have been 3 days since I got back my laptop from the service (warranty).

So I wanted the failing HDD and the noisy fan to be replaced/cleaned/fixed.

Apparently they cleaned the fan and the noise was fixed.

However they didn't replace the HDD.

The report states: "ALL TESTS PASSED. SLEEP IS TESTED AND WORKING. REPLACED CPU/GPU PASTE, NOISE FIXED, CLEANED DUST AND TESTED AGAIN. FULLY WORKING".

They have installed a program "HD Tune Pro" to test if there are any bad sectors on the HDD. I checked it as well and the test is passed with no bad sectors. However on the "Health" tab of the program it shows me a yellow warning named: "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count", with description: "Number of interface communication errors: 21549905" (with that number changing every time it updates the health report) and status: "There were communication errors. This may be caused by a damaged cable.".

Anyway, I have clearly stated to them that on the Dell diagnostics HDD test it is stuck on 10% and not moving further, and I have also tested that myself after their "service" and it's still the same.

The reason why I am posting here again it's because today while I was browsing, the laptop suddenly freeze (the HDD light on the left indicated that it was processing something) and a ticking noise could be heard from the laptop, something like a ticking clock.

A few seconds later I got a blue screen and the laptop restarted.

I will run the Dell diagnostics again, although I don't expect to see anything different.

EDIT: After running the diagnostics again the result was the same.

I am a student and I don't have the luxury of buying a new laptop so soon (this laptop is 2 years old). This "service" is unacceptable and very frustrating. Please advice me of how I can proceed.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 10th, 2013 01:00

Hi Nevol,

I am sorry for the run around. Please send me a private message with the system service tag; I will check the options available to assist you further. Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

1 Message

May 8th, 2017 22:00

I had a similar problem and im pretty sure I fixed it. When I would tell my computer to sleep, or it started to sleep automatically after 15 minutes, everything worked fine. I could tap any key to wake it back up. However if I left it for an extended period then it wouldnt wake up any more and I had to hit the power button.

It turns out what was happening is that after 180 minutes windows kicks it into hibernate mode. This is a setting under edit power plan > advanced power settings. Just type zero into both plugged in and battery to turn hibernate off forever.

You can test this easily by manually putting your computer into hibernate mode, and seeing if it is doing the same thing.

No Events found!