Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2017 15:00

Laptop does not turn on after i close the lid

This started yesterday morning. I close the lid with the computer on. Later I open the lid, hit the power button, and the computer doesnt turn on. I push it again, it still does not turn on. I have to hold the power button down until it completely shuts down then turn it back on. i dont get an error message when i turn it back on. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

^ That totally does not answer the OP's question. The OP is experiencing behavior that shouldn't be occurring at all regardless of configuration.

Latravant, if nothing appears on the display when you open the lid but you still have to hold the Power button down to shut it all the way off, it means the system is either waking up but not powering up the display again or it's not waking up at all after you put it to sleep.  First off, updating your BIOS and drivers if you haven't already, since bugs there can definitely cause this behavior; the easiest method is probably to use the "Dell Command | Update" application.  If that still doesn't work, it could be an application that's causing problems, in which case you might see some hints in Windows Event Viewer.  Put your system to sleep, attempt to wake it up, then shut it down and power it back up if needed, and then open Event Viewer and check the System log for entries around the time you put it to sleep and woke it back up.  Are there any errors/warnings there that might hint at a problem?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 28th, 2017 05:00

Latravant,

Go into the power management settings to change the power plan to meet your needs. 

To change the power plan in Windows 10, perform these actions:
  1. At the desktop, click the Search the web and Windows box and type "sleep".
  2. Select Power and Sleep settings, then select Additional power settings at the bottom of the screen.

You can change all the options that are listed if needed.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 28th, 2017 07:00

How a system behaves may depend on the type of system, so what is your complete model number?

Have you tried hitting the space bar instead of the power button?

I did have a normal system which had problems coming out of sleep.  It turned out to be due to a problem with a Video Device which was failing.  It was the alternate video display adapter and it would occasionally not show up in the Device Manager.

8 Posts

November 28th, 2017 08:00

inspiron 5755

trying to find that windows event veiwer youre talking about ty for the info in the mean time

8 Posts

November 28th, 2017 08:00

also hitting the spacebar didnt work

8 Posts

November 29th, 2017 04:00

thanks for the help, somehow (i'm guessing my malware program) my amd driver was uninstalled, so i reinstalled it and everything is fine, but i wouldnt have known what was causing the problem without the event viewer, which i never heard of. many thanks

No Events found!