Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2009 19:00

Laptop getting HOT! - Inspiron 1525

Hey there,.. I understand laptops get hot and are not made to use on your lap nowadays.

That's all good and well but my laptop is overheating a lot.

I'm playing a game online called PKR ( An online poker site that does require good graphics power. My laptop just turned off and I decided because of overheating. This is extremely irritating when playing poker online for real cash!

My laptop was on a heat mat ( has some kind of thing inside to pull away the heat ).

I used Everest to find the temperatures which are:

CPU: 96 C

CPU #1/ CORE 1: 95 C

CPU #2/ CORE2: 95 C

Chipset: 75 C

AUX: 103 C

DIMM: 63 C

CPU 4600 RPM

I'm not really in the know with hot hot laptops should get but... this looks extremely hot! Is this why it shut down on me?

What can I do other than have it on a mat?

Am I going to have to have Dell look at it............ again? ( Once because hard drive failed... once because only one speaker was working! )

Cheers

Steve

3 Posts

April 3rd, 2009 20:00

Hi, How are ya doin? Hope you are winning lots of cash.. Is your fans running on your laptop?? I know my old Latitude C600 get very hot even on my lap or on a table but it used to shut off until I took and cleaned the fan blades and the holes were plugged , it was a mess I wonder how it ever worked at all. That's all i got for ya

Have a good night

Lou

4.6K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 23:00

Your CPU temps are WAAAAAAAY OTT Steve :emotion-3:

Heck - even the cores of the CPU in my XPS M1730 are currently sitting at 35°c, and they don't (/haven't yet) go over 47°c - even during a heavy gaming session!

Are you absolutely sure those temps are in centigrade/Celsius, and not Fahrenheit, because 96°f equates to 35.6°c, which would be far more like it?

Try running Core Temp or Real Temp, to double check?

If you confirm the temps are indeed in centigrade, there's obviously something seriously wrong with your CPU or cooling system somewhere, so you do need to contact tech support :emotion-55:

And I'd suggest you do so ASAP, before your laptop goes up in smoke... literally :emotion-3:

18 Posts

April 4th, 2009 06:00

I've just ran the core temp program as suggested:

Thanks

Steve

18 Posts

April 4th, 2009 06:00

Here is a screenshot from Everest. I'll check with the other programs too.

I stopped playing PKR after posting that message, left my computer for quite a while.. and ran the built in diagnostics ( FN + power ) which returned nothing.

This seems to be happening a lot and it's bothering me. Also, i've found when I have bluetooth enabled, every say 15 seconds my mouse and everything freezes for two.

I'll have a look using the other programs too but I'd imagine it will only read from the same sensor.

Last time I spoke to the tech support they just told me not to use it on my lap yada yada.... when I have it on my lap it is always on one of them heat mats and I make sure the vents are not blocked. 

Should I contact customer support again? This may sound over the top I know because I used to build computers and know about the seperate componants but... should I just ask for a new laptop because the number of problems i've had is mad. I've had dell out twice in under a year and it's still not right.

I do know that PKR does demand a bit of the laptop but I run it in "low detail"... and either way the top end of the 90s is silly.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

187 Posts

April 4th, 2009 07:00

Hello,

103C for your AUX is way to hot.

Do you have the up to date Bios for your Inspiron 1525.

If not, Here is the A16 bios update link:

Also did you get the up to date bios for you chipset?

If not, here is the the Driver link:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Installing update to date drivers can fix common problems that many others have had.

Good Luck

Austin

18 Posts

April 9th, 2009 01:00

Thankyou Austin for your help!

I have already got the latest A16 Bios update.

I'm wondering if it could be just the game that i'm playing but others seem fine, however Dell have now been quite quick to say they want to replace the motherboard, processor, heatsink and system fan. 

Surely replacing the system costs around the same as to hire an engineer to come out and replace all that. Also, I don't know if that is definately the problem. I got into the 90+ again on " balanced " power options but when I dropped it to "power saver" it went down to around 70. Could it just be the program i'm running? Even if i'm running PKR, should it get THAT hot? I'm sure the specs don't demand that much of it. I'm totally un-sure but the last thing I want is for Dell to send out an engineer again replacing parts and not knowing exactly what the problem is, or for it just to be the same!

I know the motherboard and processor are expensive parts. 

It's also the same man that has come out twice to fix my laptop and I don't want to feel like I'm messing HIM around.

At the time of typing this, i'm running just google chrome and my laptop has reached 55 C... i've been running the laptop for about 15-20 mins but not really under any stress.

Thankyou again for all your help

Steve

187 Posts

April 14th, 2009 17:00

Hello,

Some applications can cause the computer to heat up. What excatcly is your specifications for the computer?

Austin

No Events found!