Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2015 09:00

Laptop is plugged in, not charging

My laptop is plugged in but won't charge.  I tried to do the BIOS update to correct the problem but when I started the update a box came up that said my laptop needs to be charged to at least 10%.  It's only at 4% and getting lower all the time.  I can't charge the laptop without the update, I cant do the update without charging my laptop.  Now what?!?!?!?!?!?!

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

September 24th, 2015 20:00

Hi VRUFFULE78,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Can we check with an alternate battery if this continues?

Or check this battery on a Known good system?

Please boot into the BIOS and check on the battery / adapter health status.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

7 Posts

October 5th, 2015 06:00

I can't find anyone I know that has a Dell laptop so, no I can't try
another battery without buying one which I shouldn't have to do since this
one is barely a year and a half old and I hardly used it. Also, I have
tried two other power cords that I know work and that didn't help. When I
hit F2 a small black screen flashes on for a second and then disappears. I
don't know how I'm supposed to check anything on a screen that I can't see.
I already tried the first 6 steps you told thelights007 to try and it
didn't help. I can't boot the system to to BIOS because when I hit F2
nothing is really happening. I'm starting to get extremely frustrated and
am starting to understand why no I know has a Dell. Now what should I try?

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

October 6th, 2015 07:00

Hi VRUFFULE78,

Please private message us the service tag of the system,along with the customer details.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
#IWork4Dell

2 Posts

October 6th, 2015 23:00

HI, I'm having Dell inspiron N5010 which is 4 years old...In My Laptop it started showing the message please connect the 65w adapter,and in the Boot menu Adapter Type is "UnKnown" before windows starting. even i'm having the original 65w adapter that came with the laptop..and after starting up in the Battery icon it is showing "Plugged In ,Not Charging Battery needs to be replaced"...

For this I ordered the new original Laptop battery. i replaced the original battery to my laptop..At this time also  it started showing the message please connect the 65w adapter,and in the Boot menu Adapter Type is "UnKnown",before windows starting. After starting up it only shows "Plugged In ,Not Charging".

Now I connect  the original new 65W adapter at that time also.At this time also  it started showing the message please connect the 65w adapter,and in the Boot menu Adapter Type is "UnKnown". before windows starting.After starting up it only shows "Plugged In ,Not Charging".

I have the updated the BIOS Version A15.....

Please help me..what i can do..

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

October 7th, 2015 05:00

Hi TONAME,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

The troubleshooting indicates that the motherboard (systemboard) is faulty.

Please private message us the service tag of the system.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
#IWork4Dell

7 Posts

October 7th, 2015 11:00

Ok.  What is the service tag and where do I find that and what customer details do you want and how do I private message you?

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

October 8th, 2015 03:00

Hi VRUFFULE78,

You would need to add me as a friend to send a private message.

Please send me a friend request.

I would need the name of the person / company this system to registered to.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
#IWork4Dell

7 Posts

October 30th, 2015 14:00

Do you mean add you as a friend on Facebook?  How would I do that? I don't know your full name.  Jesus Christ.  This is a huge pain in the ***.   I can't go online at home to do any of this because of the stupid problems with this dumb laptop and I can't access the forum on my phone because it's not a secure browser.  I'm a busy person.  I have to go to other people's houses and use their computers to do this.  JUST TELL ME IN A COMPLETE ANSWER HOW TO FIX MY LAPTOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 19:00

Hi VRUFFULE78,

Yes, like a friend request on Facebook. We can understand your situation.

As the battery is not getting charged, the faulty part would either be a motherboard or the power daughter-board or battery.

If the light on the adapter switches off when it is connected to the laptop, it would be the motherboard.

If the light on the adapter stays on it could be any of the three above components.

To find exactly which component it might be, we would need the results of the troubleshooting steps

- Battery / adapter status in BIOS (You need to toggle the F2 key when the system is powering up)

- Alternate adapter (Does the system charge when another adapter is plugged in)

Service tag of the system will be found on the bottom of the laptop and it would 7-alpha digit (Please don't share this information on the public forum as it would contain details system specific details)

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
#IWork4Dell

7 Posts

November 3rd, 2015 12:00

OK, like I already told you, I can't friend you on Facebook because I don't know your whole name.  Believe it or not, there are a billion Akshatha M's on there.  I'm not sending a friend request to all of them so, again, this is no help at all.  The lights all stay on and like I already told you hitting the F2 key when the laptop is powering up does nothing.  I tried it several times.  I pushed it once, I pushed it twice, I pushed it as many times as I could the entire time it was powering up, I held it in the entire time it was powering up.  Nothing happens except one time a small box flashed on the screen for a second and then disappeared.  So, you tell me how I am supposed to friend you on Facebook so I can send you the info you want because I've been trying to get this problem fixed for over a month now and I've had it!

5 Posts

November 3rd, 2015 12:00

what level of OS are you running ?

if it is a newer version of windows there is a utility you can run which displays lots of info about the battery.

it is called powercfg - and you run it from an admin cmd window cias powercfg /batteryreport.

you can find it via a google search.

for me it shows just how quickly the dell battery in my m731R has degraded in just a short time.

7 Posts

November 5th, 2015 13:00

It's Windows 8.  Do I really need to know that about my battery?  I don't even care if it holds it a charge.  If it's plugged in to a working charger/power cord, then it should work while it's plugged into an outlet, right?  I had an old HP laptop for years and years.  The battery didn't hold a charge but I could use it as long as it was plugged in.  This stupid piece of *** won't do that.  It's not a problem with the battery or the cord.  THE MAJOR PROBLEM HERE IS THAT I CAN"T FIND OUT HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.  AFTER MORE THAN A GODDAMN MONTH OF SENDING MESSAGES BACK AND FORTH ON THIS FRICKEN FORUM, I AM NO CLOSERTO HAVING A FUNCTIONING LAPTOP!

5 Posts

November 6th, 2015 03:00

One of us is confused. A battery charges - a laptop powers up but does not charge.

Take the battery out of the laptop and leave it out. Connect the power cord and power up the laptop.

Does it boot ?

No Events found!