Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 1st, 2011 07:00

Laptop shows 2 video cards - causing issues with Direct3D

I recently bought the L702X laptop which claimed to come with the "NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M"
When I installed Windows 7 64bit I tried to install the NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M driver and it said that I need to install the "Intel HD" graphics driver.
So I install the Intel HD graphics driver and then it will allow me to install the NVIDIA driver... now it shows I have 2x graphics cards:

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
- Intel HD Graphics Family

Because of this I am running into all sorts of issues with DirectX11 (standard with Windows 7) when it emulates DirectX9 for programs I frequently use such as Unity 3D and Autodesk 3D Studio Max both which require DirectX9 to. In the NVIDIA control panel I can force the programs to use the NVIDIA or Intel HD.

If I use the Intel HD everything works but very slowly, there is no performance and is like playing a game at 5fps - basically unusable.
If I use the NVIDIA I get the expected performance however I have visual artifacts all over the screen - so again unusable.

It was suggested that I install "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" which I have, however have not noticed any change.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

March 10th, 2012 20:00

I am still having issues here and have recorded a small video showing the issues when running Autodesk 3D Studio Max which uses DirectX9, however the issue is not limited to 3D Studio Max this issue occurs with anything which does not use DirectX11 which are many applications and games.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVkGNZkCCr0

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 11th, 2012 08:00

Autodesk products just do not work well with systems that use hybrid video (i.e., nVidia Optimus, ATI's shared video, etc.).

To run Autodesk products you need a system with dedicated video - these days, that limits you to a desktop system or a very high-end gaming or workstation-class notebook;  everything else has hybrid video.

March 11th, 2012 16:00

As mentioned this issue is not just limited to Autodesk 3D Studio Max, it is affecting anything which uses a DirectX version which is not DX11 in which it has to emulate this. So it affects alot of other programs and games.

However this may be the answer... a hybrid video setup just doesn't 100% work!?

This is quite a popular laptop so I am surprised that others have not posted about this issue. My wife has the same laptop and is experiencing the same issues so it is also not limited to just my setup.

June 14th, 2012 04:00

SOLUTION: I have discovered that the issue only occurs when you disable the Windows AERO theme... Enabling this and the issue should be resolved!

June 15th, 2012 20:00

Hi blakestone,

Welcome to the Dell Community,

I understand that the graphics performance with the graphics card is not as expected. I would request to try the below mentioned steps.

1. I assume that you know how to assign a program in NVIDIA control panel to run on NVIDIA  graphics or Intel graphics.

2. Please assign the programs such as Autodesk by accessing NVIDIA control panel >> Manage 3d settings>> Program settings> Add the Program>> Select the preferred graphics processor as NVIDIA.

3. If you have already tried these steps and the distortion on the screen is persistent, please update the drivers for NVIDIA. Refer to this link

www.nvidia.com/.../notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-301.42-whql-driver.html

Please try these steps and let me know of the outcome.

Glad to be of assistance

Thanks,

Manpreet

Dell |Social Outreach Professional | Global Social Media Community

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

No Events found!