Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2010 20:00

Laptop turns itself on

I have a Studio XPS 16. I have read a thread relating to how people's laptops will turn on from being in hibernate--apparently this problem could be corrected by going to the advanced power options and disabling enable wake. My laptop, however, will turn itself on hours after I have turned the computer completely OFF (after clicking  shut down, and confirming Windows 7 was shutting down, and the laptop being completely off. It happens almost every other day, and is obviously bothersome because it has happened both when the laptopn is plugged in or on battery. Anything in the settings that could do that, or is this something I may need to be looked at by Dell. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 25th, 2010 06:00

WakeOnLAN ?

2 Posts

January 25th, 2010 17:00

Thanks for that suggestion, but I cannot find that for the life of me. I press F2 when starting up to do a BIOS setup, but there is no WakeonLan option to disable... Any other place it might be? I have some USB wake option, but that's actually disabled as the default. 

23 Posts

January 25th, 2010 20:00

I had the same issue with Windows 7.  I learned that windows 7 has a wake timer.  This is beyond me why anyone would want their computer to wake up from hybernate on its own so it could bake itself while it's in your bag. 

You need to right click the power icon on the task bar and go to your power options.  Click on change advanced power settings.  Under each of the power setting you use, go down to the sleep tab and lower the tree to expose the "allow wake timers" tab.  Click on allow wake timers and disable them.  You will need to do this in ever power plan you use.  That should fix your problem.

No Events found!