Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2017 10:00

Lat7480 + WD15 dock: USB ports dont work after undock

Anyone seen the following issue w/the Latitude 7480 w/a WD15 USB-C Dell Dock)??? I've reached a brick wall on this.

Laptop = Latitute 7480.
Docking Station = WD15 (USB-C Dell Dock).
OS = Windows 10

Laptop powers on in a docked state. External monitors and peripherals are functional. Laptop then gets removed from dock, and USB ports on laptop become nonfunctional. The system is not providing stable power to the USB ports. If you redock, the external monitors are functional/responsive (signal being transferred via USB-C), but the regular USB ports are still nonfunctional. After undocking, I connected a USB-powered wireless headset receiver to USB port on laptop, the receiver initially gets power for a few seconds, and then power dies. Indicating the system recognizes hardware is being plugged in, but then suspends power to the ports. Also, very randomly the backlight on the laptop screen will go out. Backlight resumes functional after reboot.

Troubleshooting Steps performed:
- Connected USB keyboard and wireless mouse directory to laptop usb port, and devices are nonfunctional.
- Changed Power Options from Balanced mode to High Performance mode in OS, no change.
- Updated Firmware for WD15 USB-C docking station, no change.
- Checked all related settings in BIOS after update, no change.
- Disconnected ALL peripherals from dock (monitors/mouse/keyboard/usb headset) and no change. USB ports still locked up.
- On laptops with restart or shutdown functions, it takes several minutes and then gets a BSOD (StopCode: Driver_Power_State_Failure).
- Uninstalled MemoryCardReader in Device Manager, no change. (Seen via various forums)
- Disabled MemoryCardReader in BIOS, no change.
- Disabled Bluetooth & GPS in BIOS, no change
- EventViewer shows various errors
  Event ID 219
  The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device        BCMNFCUSB\NFC_PROVIDER\7&13787e1f&0&257.
  The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device CVUSBDRV\WBF_PROVIDER_TOUCH\7&116e08d2&0&513.
- Connected laptop to another known good dock (same model) and issue follows the laptop.

5 Posts

April 5th, 2017 07:00

So I finally was able to find the needle in a haystack of a resolution. On both systems, turns out it was a bad "Realtek USB2.0 Audio" driver (version 6.3.9600.78). I installed version 6.3.9600.50 and that fixed the issue. At this point I've applied this across what was now 5+ affected machines, and the dock now appears to be functional and stable across the board. Keep in mind the driver will only show up in Device Manager once you plug in the WD15 dock.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 31st, 2017 09:00

Hi rjl.atx,

Thanks for posting.

Have you tried troubleshooting with Tech Support yet?  I believe they can assist you with this.  Thanks.

5 Posts

March 31st, 2017 13:00

Yup sure have. I currently have 2 of these same models experiencing the same exact issues. Dell replaced the motherboard on both machines, and same issue remains. As of 2 days ago, another BIOS rev was released, and got our systems flashed to it, but no change. Also reinstalled the OS again, and USB ports still locking.

April 4th, 2017 13:00

Hello,

I am currently experiencing this issue with a recent order of 7480s and WD15s here in our IT department at the firm I work for.  From what I can tell, replacing hardware will not solve the issue as the problem is persistent with multiple laptops. So far, the only thing that allows for a smooth transition from docked state to un-docked state is powering down your machine before un-docking.  You can dock your laptop powered on and signed in; however, un-docking while powered on scrambles the docked/undocked profiles causing the laptop to still recognize peripherals that are no longer there.  When you try to re-dock, keyboard and mouse are locked up and the dock Ethernet controller is not recognized. Usually, after the laptop malfunctions it requires a force reboot and sometimes blue screens. I will stick to telling my users to power down before un-docking.  In my experience, it is better to reduce the number of blue screens and lock-ups than to beat your head on a concrete wall.

I look forward to a potential fix. Keep me updated!

2 Posts

April 4th, 2017 20:00

I'm experiencing the same exact issues. The problem is on the Latitude 5480 and 5289. Running the latest drivers, BIOS, and updates. I haven't noticed a fix posted for this yet. Has this been resolved?

2 Posts

April 4th, 2017 20:00

Experiencing the same issue. Except my issue is on the Latitude 5480 and 5289 models. I've also noticed that once undocking while the machine is powered on, the next shut down hangs....and eventually bluescreens. I have yet to check the dmp file.

1 Message

April 28th, 2017 20:00

Thanks. We had the same issue with our Latitude 7280's and WD15 docks.

May 4th, 2017 13:00

Thank you! This solution did help to resolve the same issue with 7480, I have eight 7480, and three already in use, only one had the same problem. Also, I have two 7280, but they are in good shape.

No Events found!