Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2017 13:00

Latitude 7480: BitLocker Recovery

Howdy, all!

Has anyone had any issues with getting BitLocker working without prompting for recovery within Win10 on this model? We purchased several 5480s and 7480s, and both models initially experienced issues where BitLocker would successfully enable and encrypt, but would prompt for the BitLocker Recovery Key at every boot. I was eventually able to get the 5480 models working by using the in-the-field downgrade to TPM 1.2, along with the 1.3.2 BIOS update, which specifically addresses "Win7" (i.e. TPM 1.2) BitLocker problems.

Try as I might, I can't find any combination of things that work with the 7480. Our imaging and boot sequence currently requires enabling Legacy ROMs in BIOS, and while we have plans to enetually move towards a straight UEFI boot sequence, it's going to require a pretty significant procedural change that we are NOT poised for right now. I noticed that there is not yet a 1.3.x BIOS revision available for the 7480, and that was the final piece of the puzzle eventually did the trick on the 5480 model. Does the 7480 suffer from the same problem, and is still pending a firmware fix? Or am I battling another problem altogether with the 7480 series?

Any information the community can provide will be helpful!

Thanks!

May 12th, 2017 11:00

Suspicions confirmed, Dell just publicly released a new 7480 firmware this morning (v1.3.3) that seems to have cured the problem on our setup with Legacy / Win10 / TPM 1.2 and now correctly releases the key on system boot. Hopefully it resolves the problem for anyone else experiencing BitLocker issues with the 7480 series!

-Tony

No Events found!