Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

11 Posts

March 1st, 2004 14:00

Latitude C840 Troubleshooting

I've had a positive experience with tech support via the email contact, but it seems that the path taken to trouble shoot is influenced by the easiest and cheapest way......prolonging the time to repair my laptop..

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my processor speed was down to 598Mhz instead of 2.4Ghz. Then I get a lengthy email describing the Intel SmartSpeed (or something) technology. The useful information was at the end of the email which send, set option to "battery optimized." This did nothing. So the tech puts in an order for a new motherboard.

New motherboard fixed the processor speed issue but introduced a new problem....random restarts of my laptop. It would restart in Windows, During BIOS load (black screen with dell logo), or while in Bios. I proceed to tell the tech that I ran the diagnostic tests and that one of the fan tests was failing. So he puts in an order for a new fan.

New fan in place, nothing fixed. It had gotten so bad that my laptop repeatedly restarted during the Bios load screen. So the visiting tech suggests that I send it to a repair depot. No problem at all. So, I get it back and they replaced the CPU and Heatsink and updated the BIOS. Didn't work, I still get random restarts in Windows or while in the Bios setup screen.

Now it seems to me, that replacing the CPU and motherboard at the same time would be the next step. The motherboard was replaced with a bad CPU. The CPU could've messed up the motherboard, and they replaced the CPU in a bad mothebaord, etc. Is this unreasonable? Can I specifically request that or will they do what they think is necessary?

Don't get me wrong Dell support has been great, I'm just getting a little impatient :)

770 Posts

March 1st, 2004 19:00

You could possibly even push them to replace your entore system at this point.  Some have had good success in following that path,  but be warned, if they do that,  you might end-up with a newer D-Series system to replace your C840...

11 Posts

March 1st, 2004 20:00

Well I spent a good 3 hours on the phone with tech support. Outcome of the first call, try removing memory sticks. Didn't work. Second call, I got put on hold and sent to Dell survey. Third call, she had me do some troubleshooting, i.e. disconnect peripherals etc.

We thought we tracked it to the internal CD drive, until it eventually restarted itself. They're sending a new motherboard and CD drive......probably won't work, but I can pray.

If I were given the option to upgrade, I'd see about getting one of those 3.4ghz inspirons with 2gb RAM. No idea if there's issues with them, but it just sounds oh so juicy :o

11 Posts

March 2nd, 2004 00:00

no, but with my 2 sticks i booted up with one stick at a time in each of the slots and same problem.....unless both sticks went bad...

267 Posts

March 2nd, 2004 00:00

did they replace the memory? Sounds like they replaced everything else. Memory can definitely cause that.

11 Posts

March 2nd, 2004 01:00

It went like this:

1. Replace motherboard (Flash BIOS) - after this is when it started rebooting itself

2. Replace FAN

3. Replace CPU, heatsink, flash BIOS

3.5. Troubleshooting with tech assistance: removed battery, internal drive, modem, ram, etc. Removing cd rom drive seemed to do the trick at first until it started rebooting itself again.

4. Soon to replace motherboard again and internal cdrom drive

267 Posts

March 2nd, 2004 01:00

oh, I reread what you said. So, they replaced the motherboard and all of a sudden it started rebooting. Then they merely flashed the bios and did not replace it again. Smells like a doa motherboard to me.

770 Posts

March 2nd, 2004 19:00

It is starting to sound to me like a heat problem.

What BIOS revision is on your system?  Are you running I8KFANGUI (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html)?  If so,  what temperatures does it report?  If not,  does running it help?

14 Posts

March 4th, 2004 07:00

The motherboard might also be shorting out on something metallic inside. I have seen this happen a couple times after replacing Mobos on desktops. I am not sure if notebooks can have the same problem.

EDIT: Have you tried to reseat the Mobo since it was reinstalled?

Message Edited by LeeSoCar on 03-04-2004 04:37 AM

11 Posts

March 4th, 2004 11:00

The Dell tech replaced my motherboard yesterday and my laptop has been on for about 22 hours straight with no problems. So, it was probably a multi-part failure: CPU and motherboard.  Specifically, I have no idea what the problem was. I'm just glad that my life is back in order.... Thanks for the words of advice here and hats off to Dell for continuous support.

I'm curious if Dell refurbishes the parts they replace.... I hope they find the problem with that motherboard, I feel bad if it goes un-fixed and some sorry sap gets it in their latitude.

No Events found!