Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2009 13:00

Latitude D630 - TV Video and Audio Connection Problems - No Sound; Horizontal Bars

I have a latitude d630 laptop and a Toshiba 32rv635db TV.  I have tried to connect the laptop to the TV using a VGA cable (for video) and an audio jack-RCA cable (for audio).   Two problems:

1. Video - I can get the TV to recognize the video, but it only detects it as XGA and so I get vertical black bars along th sides.  Is there any way to get rid of these?   How?

2. Audio - I plugged the jack into the headphone output on the laptop and the RCA cable to the appropriate input on the TV.  But I have to turn up the TV volume to nearly its maximum just to hear anything.   ANd the things I hear are faint and tin sounding.   Help.  How can I fix the audio?

41 Posts

December 1st, 2009 13:00

For the video - I don't have much experience with connecting computers to TVs, but on the TV remote there might be a button that says "wide" (or something similar - I have a Sony widescreen). I can use this option to stretch the video to the sides of the TV. Also, you might be able to change the resolution on your laptop (from Control Panel - in XP, it is under "Display", in Vista/7 just type "resolution" into the search box).

For the audio - Try turning up the volume on your laptop by using the volume controls in the system tray or the buttons above the keyboard.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 1st, 2009 14:00

The Audio problem might be solved by using the Line Out on the sound card, not the headphone out, which minimizes the sound.

December 1st, 2009 14:00

Where is the line out on the Dell latitude d630?  It might be a silly question, but all I see is a microphone jack and a headphone jack. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 1st, 2009 15:00

The headphone jack doubles as the line-out. Mary G might be thinking of a PCI audio card in a desktop computer.

If the jack works okay when you listen with headphones then I would wonder if the cable is defective.

Edit:  I don't understand why one would say that the headphone jack minimizes the sound. The jack is part of the headphone amplifier circuitry which boosts the signal higher than line level in order to drive the loudspeakers in the headphones, so in terms of greater volume the headphone jack would be better than a pure line level jack.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2014 07:00

Hi JIMCO,

Check the output of the speaker/headphone jack on the Latitude D630.  I believe it's 300 or 500 millivolts and the internal amplifier in the headphones boosts it to audible levels.  When connecting to a TV the power level must also be boosted to be audible.  If the TV is not switched to pickup and boost a m-volt signal you will need to connect to an outboard amplifier.  Mine is connected into my Sony amp which picks this signal up and boosts it logarithmically when the volume knob is applied.  If the TV RCA inputs are matched to the laptop output signal than there is a problem in the TV's transfer circuitry from the low level input board to the amplifier. 

3 Posts

November 12th, 2014 08:00

Hi J.JINBRITAIN,

Connect a VGA out cable to your VGA port on the back of your laptop.  Connect the other end to a VGA  to S-video/RCA/HDMI converter box that you can purchase on e-bay from $10 on up.  Connect to your TV using the appropriate output from the converter, (S-video/RCA/HDMI) and the converter matches the needed signal to the TV.  For sound you connect a mini-plug to RCA splitter (usually green mini to Red and White RCAs) to the laptop's headphone output. It will send the signal down separate wires to Red and White RCA jacks. (RED is Right)  this can be connected to an RCA input for left and right on your TV.  If the TV does not boost the power level with its internal amp, you may want to invest in an outboard amp and speakers for sound, and bypass the TV.  Tinny means the 300-500 micro-volt signal is not being boosted and even at maximum volume on the TV it won't get much volume.  There is sometimes a switch that is controlled by the TV remote for speaker selection internal to external.  Try your TV menu to see if this is available.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 15th, 2014 06:00

the internal amplifier in the headphones boosts it to audible levels.

Hello. Most headphones are unpowered and  do not have an internal amplifier. They are passive in the same sense that the unpowered speakers you might have connected to your stereo receiver are passive.The Sigmatel 9205 audio chip on the motherboard of the Latitude D630 contains an integrated headphone amplifier to drive the headphones. Its output is rated at 50 mWatts into a 32 ohm load.

Your advice to jjinbritain is surely appreciated too, but as that person posted the question 5 years ago it might be a moot point by now. However your advice might help someone else.

Thank you for sharing.

3 Posts

November 19th, 2014 15:00

Hi Jim,

The reason I looked at this site was my question is about the laptop itself.  Does the D630 VGA output support direct wire to wire conversion from the 15 pin to 4 pin S-Video and will it send a usable signal direct to a CRT style TV with S-Video input?  I have seen several connectors with SVGA 15 pin on one end and 4 pin male S-Video;  Red/Right, White/Left Audio; and Yellow/Video connectors on the other end.  I have one on its way to me now, and before I connect it I wanted an expert opinion if it will work first of al,l and/or if it may damage the laptop?  By the way, you are correct about the headphones. My mind was on the system I have which is connected by the mini-plug out of the laptop converted to L+R RCA's to my Amp.  Thank you

Kindest regards

D. S.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 21st, 2014 04:00

Does the D630 VGA output support direct wire to wire conversion from the 15 pin to 4 pin S-Video and will it send a usable signal direct to a CRT style TV with S-Video input?

Maybe someone on the Laptop Video section of the forum has an answer.

No Events found!