Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2013 07:00

Latitude D820 screen won't turn on, I can see lights and hear the (hard drive?) moving inside though.

I have a used Dell Latitude D820 that I'm trying to fix for someone. When I plug in the adapter and turn it on, the little lights on the computer come on that signify that it's charging and powered on, and I can hear 'something', probably the hard drive, spinning inside it, sounding normal. The only problem is that the screen will not come on at all. No Dell logo, no Bios, none of that stuff. I have heard that the video card fails fairly often on this make of computer so maybe that's the issue, but if there are any other problems it might be having that you can think of, I would appreciate suggestions on how to get the screen to turn on. Thanks.

• 

3.3K Posts

March 18th, 2013 07:00

Hi Mozartghost,

I recommend you to connect an external monitor and check if there is display on it.

You may run a test on the display. This test will help in diagnosing if the issue is with the LCD panel or with the controller. If the colors are displayed across the screen without a problem then the issue lies outside of the LCD.

To test the display shut the system down, next press and hold the letter ‘D’ on the keyboard and press the power button. This will initiate diagnostics on the display. Check the status of the display and please revert.

• 

3.3K Posts

March 21st, 2013 08:00

Hi Mozartghost,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

12 Posts

March 27th, 2013 08:00

Sorry for not getting back with you. I need to borrow a monitor from someone that can connect to the laptop. I'm having problems with my main computer right now so most of my 'computer maintenance time' is being devoted to that.

78 Posts

March 27th, 2013 13:00

Sounds like it's a problem with the GPU, either that or a faulty LCD backlight.

1 Message

February 25th, 2015 21:00

Hi all, I have the same issue with my Latitude D820. It went into stand by one day and when the screen blacked out it never came back. Computer starts up and I can hear the fans going, battery charges and power & battery lights are all visible just like the OP. I've attempted to hook it up to a Dell E196FP monitor and I can't see anything. The monitor definitely works because I can use it with other machines. I've attempted holding D with the monitor connected and not connected. There is no change in behavior,both the monitor screen and laptop screen are black. Additionally, when the monitor is connected and I turn off the laptop the monitor also shuts down. It doesn't turn off but the light on bottom right of the monitor goes from green to yellow so I'm assuming the monitor and laptop know they're connected yet i can't see any picture. No Dell Logo, no Safe Mode. Dell Business Latitude D820 (Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Windows XP Home) Any help is appreciated, I have a lot of work & school material on this!! Thanks in advance

78 Posts

February 26th, 2015 05:00

It sounds like the GPU is at fault. The solder that connects it to the motherboard is probably cracked due to thermal stress. My own Latitude D820 suffered from the same problem last July. I was using it and suddenly the screen flashed, then it rebooted and nothing came back on the screen. It hasn't worked since.

You can remove the SATA hard drive it has and put it in a desktop computer as a secondary hard drive. That will allow you to copy your data from the drive without needing the laptop to function.

Alternatively you can get hold of a Latitude D620 and put your D820's hard drive in that. Because the Latitude D620 and D820 are almost identical, Windows XP will boot up just fine, and you'll only need to change video drivers. Because most Latitude D620s have integrated Intel graphics (where no D820s have integrated graphics), it will be much more reliable and probably will work indefinitely so long as the laptop does not develop any unrelated problems.

1 Message

August 26th, 2015 09:00

I have the same problem and i tried what you said and it didnt work

78 Posts

August 26th, 2015 13:00

What did you try exactly?

No Events found!