Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

February 4th, 2009 09:00

Latitude E-Series having trouble 'waking' from standby

I have several E-Series laptops with the following problem.  When they go into standby mode, they are difficult to bring back up.  I'm not sure if the screen is not powering back on or if the OS is not resuming.  Is this a common problem with the E-Series notebooks?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 4th, 2009 12:00

You should mention what operating system you have and also how you are waking the computer. With Vista, Hybrid Sleep and Hibernation require a brief power button push to wake and not the usual mouse movement or key press. Recheck the Power Settings in Control Panel, Advanced Settings.

6 Posts

June 4th, 2009 12:00

Hello everybody,

i have the same problem and still didn't find a solution on that...quite annoying...does anybody know how to fix this porblem?

Thanks

6 Posts

June 4th, 2009 13:00

First, thanks for your reply

I'm using Win XP Prof SP3 all updates done

My settings: Closing cover --> System standby

How I try to wakeup: close cover --> standby --> open cover --> press power button -- nothing, pressing any other --> nothing; only think i can do is to restart the system...

What do you mean with recheck the settings? What can i change there to improve the situation... :)

Thanks again.

Greetz Alex

P.S. I have also a problem by entering the standby mode... go to windows menu --> shutdown --> select "standby" than the dell info screen with "entering the standby mode is prepared" and than nothing happens...

1 Message

July 10th, 2009 19:00

I have a problem where my E6400 with Windows XP would not actually go into standby mode. The machine stays in "Preparing to Standby" mode.

I was told to disable various drivers (trial & error) to find out which driver is causing the problem.

I did this by disabling the drivers through device manager (one at a time) and discovered that the webcam driver was the culprit.

I have no solution to the webcam driver problem but ai am able to get into standby mode without a hitch now.

Failing this, you might look to other drivers that might be conflicting with standby mode.

good luck.

1 Message

August 6th, 2009 10:00

I am setting up a E6400 that's having the same issue. Has anyone been able to shed any light on this problem?

Thanks,

Ben

2 Posts

October 12th, 2010 19:00

I'm having the same problem with a new E6500 laptop (purchased March 2010).  Cannot wake it up from sleep (is that the same as 'standby'?).  I asked Pro Support in an online chat, and the guy just told me to disable all my startup programs and reinstall them one by one and see if that helped.  Very strange!  Is there really no knowledge on what to do about this?

I have several E-Series laptops with the following problem.  When they go into standby mode, they are difficult to bring back up.  I'm not sure if the screen is not powering back on or if the OS is not resuming.  Is this a common problem with the E-Series notebooks?

2 Posts

October 13th, 2010 02:00

I finally found my answer.  I use a lapdesk with a USB fan.  I happened to unplug the fan before putting the computer into standby.  The lights slowly went off, the power-on key light stayed on, and I pressed that (power-on) to bring the computer out of standby.

Should mention that before that when it was refusing to wake up, the OS was running, but the monitor would not come on.  Now they both go down and both come back up.  ...  So make sure nothing is running using a USB port.

I'm having the same problem with a new E6500 laptop (purchased March 2010).  Cannot wake it up from sleep (is that the same as 'standby'?).  I asked Pro Support in an online chat, and the guy just told me to disable all my startup programs and reinstall them one by one and see if that helped.  Very strange!  Is there really no knowledge on what to do about this?

[quote user="mikeclifton82"]

[/quote]

No Events found!