Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2015 16:00

Latitude E5430 - backlit keyboard retrofit?

Hi people,

Do you know if it is possible to take an E5430 that was built with a non-backlit keyboard and upgrade the keyboard in the field to the backlit version?

I gather from what I've read elsewhere that this may be possible with some models (perhaps the E6400) but in others (perhaps the E5510 for example) extra control and/or power circuitry would be absent in a model originally equipped with a non-backlit keyboard, meaning that even with the correct keyboard, BIOS and control software options the backlight still wouldn't function. Assuming these two categories do exist, I can't find a list of which models are in which category.

Any help appreciated!

5 Posts

January 26th, 2015 06:00

Hi Brandon,

Belated thanks for the reply. I can see how that would be a useful test for other models, but this one only has a single cable connecting all of the keyboard functions whether fitted with a backlit keyboard or not, and having read other users’ experience of the E5510 (see below) I wasn’t convinced that the single cable, and seeming location of the inverter on the keyboard guarantied success.

Bottom line: This is now resolved for me; I asked a lot of questions, finally found an economical and low-risk way of trying a backlit keyboard, ordered an appropriate part and now have a fully functional backlight! If you want more detail, read on.

It might seem obvious that a backlit keyboard could be successfully retrofitted, but I didn’t feel confident, especially having read this excellent thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19442203

As well as trawling the net and asking here I followed the links to Dell parts support and sent them an email. By that stage I had received two replies from sellers of supposedly genuine Dell parts – one selling a backlit keyboard for £20 that strangely (it seemed to me) lacked the trackstick, saying that as my machine was built with a non-backlit keyboard he doubted it would work, and another selling what appeared to be the standard backlit keyboard (with trackstick) for £50, who said ‘it should be ok’. Both these sellers later confirmed that they were offering genuine parts.

My email to Dell explained my question about whether a retrofit was even possible, and on the assumption that it was, asked if there was a genuine keyboard without a trackstick and also whether the version with the trackstick had a better feel (as I had read in one review). I attached high res pics showing all the necessary details. The reply basically said: We can sell you a 52PX4 backlit keyboard for £45 not including delivery, expect a delay because it’s not in stock. It didn’t seem to me that the main question had been addressed, so I replied asking: “If I fit a 52PX4 in my E5430 (which was factory assembled with a NON-backlit keyboard) will the 52PX4's backlight definitely work?” and the got the answer: “This model came with an option for both.  It should work.” On the one hand, this could be seen as a definitive answer from Dell, on the other it could be read as the application of flawed logic – after all, the 5510 referred to above came with an option for both but that definitely did not work.

I tried another parts search using different terms, and found two more vendors. I asked the same questions. The first, selling a genuine part with trackstick for £50 seemed very knowledgeable and sent a surprisingly thorough answer (263 words!). He said:” …As rule of thumb we do not advise switching from non-backlit to backlit.  Under the same model can be different parts fitted dependant on manufacturing cycle...” FWIW he mentioned that the keyboards are usually manufactured by Chicony or Sunrex. The second vendor, selling what appeared to be the same part for £30, though not including E5430 compatibility in its description, said: “It is not a daft question at all - These things can be confusing! We can confirm that our keyboard will indeed fit your E5430 and the backlit functionality will work as well.” Confident in the knowledge that I could return the part if unsuccessful, I ordered and fitted without any problems.

A few observations about the fitting instructions in the owner’s manual. I apologise in advance if these are blindingly obvious. It’s certainly worth following the guidance about how best to remove and reinstall the keyboard trim – the order is important. I found that a very thin plastic card was an excellent tool for prying this off without causing any damage (it was actually a promotional AA membership card that came with a Vauxhall Corsa!).

Steps 5 and 6 seem to be transposed – you flip the keyboard over first, then lift the clip to release the keyboard cable. The relevant illustration highlighting this is below the text for step 7. The instructions don’t explain why you should disconnect the keyboard cable from the computer, but it’s apparently because you need to refit it to the replacement keyboard, and this requires careful alignment which is much easier to achieve with the cable detached from the computer.

After removing (and retaining) the yellow tape from the back of the keyboard connector, note how the cable is aligned between two metal pillars and exactly how the shaped end of it sits in the connector, before carefully lifting the black clip and removing the cable. This leaves you with the free keyboard cable. The next stage is to reverse the steps – carefully align and fit the cable to the new keyboard, apply the yellow tape, delicately reattach the other end of the cable to the computer, turn the keyboard over and ease it in to place (I had to flex it slightly in the centre to allow it to pass the clips at either side) noting alignment of the small plastic spigot which locates in a hole next to one of the keyboard screws near the trackpad. Finally replace the screws and follow the other steps as indicated in owner’s manual.

If you’re about to try this, I hope it works for you!

Cheers.

5 Posts

July 19th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

I'm very sorry to hear that! Hopefully you are able to get a refund?

Just to confirm a few things for the benefit of others, was your keyboard the specific eBay item I linked to, or something that seemed to be equivalent?

Did the installation proceed as I described above or were there any discrepancies?

Sorry to ask the obvious (please don't be offended), but I guess you checked the backlight on/off/brightness setting [Fn+Right Cursor], and any BIOS settings?

If there are no other obvious differences maybe we should compare hardware versions etc.

Thanks

511 Posts

January 17th, 2015 12:00

My understanding is that if the port for the battery backlight power is there it should work. However I cannot guarantee that.

-Brandon

1 Message

February 15th, 2016 01:00

Hi dguest2,

I'm glad this upgrade worked for you. I want to do the same, but I want to install the keyboard model with a pointing stick. Does your new keyboard have a pointing stick and if so, does it work properly?

5 Posts

February 15th, 2016 11:00

Hi there,

Yes, the replacement backlit keyboard includes the pointing stick - and yes, it works correctly!

Cheers

July 3rd, 2016 01:00

Hello. Thanks for your post. I also have a Dell Latitude E5430 that did not come with the lighter keyboard. Could you tell me where EXACTLY you purchased yours from. There's a seller on eBay for $25 but I'm skeptical about this working. According to the seller it will work. I just wanna be sure.

5 Posts

July 6th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The specific item was this:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52PX4-Dell-New-UK-Keyboard-For-Latitude-E5420-E6320-E6420-/221320324802

It appears that there is only one left and the price has soared! I chose this item because it appeared genuine, the seller was responsive and helpful, and most importantly offered a refund if it didn't work. If you have the same refund arrangement then you presumably have little to loose, especially as the main confusion seemed to be whether the laptop itself contained the correct features to make an upgrade possible, so if the keyboard you have found looks equivalent to the item above, things seem positive.

Please let us know how it works out.

July 17th, 2016 11:00

Hello. Thanks for your reply. So after purchasing this keyboard in question that would work with Dell Latitude e5430 that has a non lighted keyboard, it turns out it did not work in my case. I was very disappointed.

1 Message

February 14th, 2017 05:00

I fitted one and I too was very disappointed when the backlight didn't seem to work.Then I discovered the solution. I pressed the function key (Fn) together with the right arrow and hey presto! The keyboard lit up. Phew!

No Events found!