Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2014 11:00

Latitude E5440 slow i5, Nvidia chipset drivers?

This is the second E5440 I've had this issue with.  We put our corporate image (Win7 32bit) on our standard E5440 (i5, 4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD).  Most of the time the laptops run great.  I install all Dell drivers for the laptop after the image.  I have now had two laptops that run extremely slow after imaging and installing drivers... I believe they both have the Nvidia video chipset as well.  I have imaged and re-imaged the current laptop in question, installed chipset drivers, rebooted, then installed Intel HD video driver, rebooted, then Nvidia driver, rebooted, then all other drivers... and no matter what I do the laptop runs slow.  I have run the Windows Experience just to get a baseline and, first image with both Intel and Nvidia video drivers installed gave me a processor score of 1.8.  Re-image, all drivers EXCEPT the Nvidia video driver gave me a processor score of 1.9.  The other scores are to be expected... even graphics is 2.9 with just the Intel video driver installed.  I've tried re-installed chipset drivers and nothing speeds up the laptop or seems to make a difference on the processor score.  I have tried uninstalling the processor/cores in device manager, rebooting, and letting Windows re-load everything... same thing.

I am about to just re-build the laptop from scratch using a Windows 7 VLK DVD... but wondering if anyone else has seen this type of issue with processor speed after an image?

18 Posts

August 12th, 2014 15:00

Ok... so, waiting for this post to be approved and posted, I wiped/installed Windows 7 from our VLK ISO.  As I was installing chipset drivers it did seem to run pretty quickly.  After installs of ONLY chipset drivers and rebooting after each install I installed Intel HD video driver.  After reboot I ran the Windows Experience and... processor score 1.9 and running slow.  I just uninstalled (and deleted) the video driver, will reboot, run Experience and see if that did anything.

No Events found!