Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2012 19:00

Latitude E5500 Drivers?

Hi,

I recently purchased a Latitude E5500 due to it having a serial port. Anyway the laptop didn't come with an OS. I called dell and gave them the serivce tag number (DSBGNK1) and ordered replacement media to install the OS that came with the unit. The COA located under the battery is for Vista Business......which is the disc I recieved. I recieved a Vista Business 64 Bit disc which would be fine but when I go to the driver download area of the website, it doesn't allow me to select any 64 Bit OS. I have dug around online and found all the drivers (I think). Whenever I called to get the replacement media, the advisor said that it originally shipped with Vista downgraded to XP.

My question is this....Does anybody know where I could check to make sure I have all the correct drivers installed?

If I ever do need to downgrade to XP how do I go about that?

Thanks,

Brandon

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 25th, 2012 22:00

Hi Bcrittenden,

Please check in device manager for conforming all the drivers are installed correctly. To open Device manager screen click Start->type Device manager in the search box ->select Device manager.

Or Click start->right-click Computer->select Manage->select Device manager from the list.

In the Device manager screen please check if there are any Yellow or Red exclamation marks on any of the hardware components listed.  The driver need to be updated for the hardware component which has a yellow or red exclamation.

Yes the laptop is compatible and tested on Windows XP; you can also downgrade the Operating system from Windows Vista to Windows XP only if you have a Windows XP installation disk.

If the disk is available please follow the steps in this link to install Windows XP.

Link: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362048&isLegacy=true

Also providing the link for drivers for windows XP: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/latitude-e5500?s=dhs
Ensure that Windows XP operating system is selected on the page before downloading the drivers.

Please reply for further help.

October 26th, 2012 15:00

Thanks for the reply Nikhil!

I checked the device manager and everything looks good, no red or yellow exclamation marks.

With regards to installing XP, I have a XP Home edition install disc for another machine. Would that work or does it have to be XP Pro? And how would I activate it? Can I use the Vista COA code to activate XP?

Thanks,

Brandon

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 29th, 2012 07:00

Hi Bcrittenden,

It is good to hear that all the drivers are perfectly installed in your computer.

Yes you can use the XP home edition disk to install windows XP home edition in the computer; you do not need any COA or activation code for Vista to install windows XP.

Please check this link to do a complete reinstallation of Operating system: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362048&isLegacy=true

Note: Dell warranty will not be affective if any modifications are made to the system.

please reply for any further help.

3.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                        

No Events found!