Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2015 10:00

Latitude E5520 Audio Problems After Win 10 Upgrade

I'm having audio problems after upgrading to Win 10 64 bit.

Dell Latitude E5520 IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio
Hardware IDs:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A

1) If I use the built-in Win 10 driver ("High Definition Audio Device") I can hear speakers/headphone, and switching between speakers and headphones works fine but my laptop microphone does not work ("Not plugged in").

2) If I use the latest driver from Dell (IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio Driver) I can initially hear through speakers but as soon as I plug in headphones I can't switch back to speakers (i.e. switching between speakers and headphones does not work) and my laptop microphone does work.

I would be happy to provide more info and to assist in debugging.

In a Microsoft Community Forum I received the following reply from Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP:

Hi,
AS OEM Dell is responsible for the proper operation of both the hardware
and Windows. Check with Dell Support, their on-line documentation and
drivers, and ask in their forums about any known issues. Be sure you are
running the latest BIOS, chipset, and major drivers.
Hope this helps.

I understand that the Latitude E5520 does not appear on the Dell "Computers Tested for Upgrade to Windows 10" list... nonetheless I've been hoping that maybe Dell might find it in the goodness of their hearts to come up with an updated IDT 92HDxxx driver... pretty please?

Thanks,
John D.

November 29th, 2015 07:00

I experienced the same problem: after upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit, the microphone on my E5520 did not work so I couldn't use Skype and other video conferencing apps.  Installing the Dell Driver fixed the problem.  For those who need it, the Dell audio driver is here (under audio):

www.dell.com/.../drivers

1 Message

July 14th, 2016 05:00

Hi John !!

I am getting the same problem while switching to/from headphones after installing windows 10 and this driver. It's 2016 now. I want to ask if this problem is resolved or not properly by dell. Kindly do post the link of the proper driver if there is any in 2016.

Thanks,

Hamza

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 16th, 2016 04:00

Kindly do post the link of the proper driver if there is any in 2016.

Hello Hamza. Dell does not support Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 on the Latitude E5520 model and cautions that you might lose some functionality if you do install Win10.

The E5520 has IDT audio hardware on the motherboard. The IDT company went out of the consumer audio business before Windows 10 came out, so I doubt that there will ever be a Win10 IDT audio driver for that model.

You can use the IDT Win7 audio driver in Win10, by installing it while using Compatibility mode.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.  [There are two "formats" on the driver's page. Scroll down to the 2nd one, named "Hard Drive" format, and download that one, not the 1st one named "Windows Update Package".]
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7.

No Events found!