Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2015 10:00

Latitude E5520 Audio Problems After Win 10 Upgrade

I'm having audio problems after upgrading to Win 10 64 bit.

Dell Latitude E5520 IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio
Hardware IDs:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A

1) If I use the built-in Win 10 driver ("High Definition Audio Device") I can hear speakers/headphone, and switching between speakers and headphones works fine but my laptop microphone does not work ("Not plugged in").

2) If I use the latest driver from Dell (IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio Driver) I can initially hear through speakers but as soon as I plug in headphones I can't switch back to speakers (i.e. switching between speakers and headphones does not work) and my laptop microphone does work.

I would be happy to provide more info and to assist in debugging.

In a Microsoft Community Forum I received the following reply from Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP:

Hi,
AS OEM Dell is responsible for the proper operation of both the hardware
and Windows. Check with Dell Support, their on-line documentation and
drivers, and ask in their forums about any known issues. Be sure you are
running the latest BIOS, chipset, and major drivers.
Hope this helps.

I understand that the Latitude E5520 does not appear on the Dell "Computers Tested for Upgrade to Windows 10" list... nonetheless I've been hoping that maybe Dell might find it in the goodness of their hearts to come up with an updated IDT 92HDxxx driver... pretty please?

Thanks,
John D.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 29th, 2015 13:00

AS OEM Dell is responsible for the proper operation of both the hardware
and Windows.

Hi John. It's pretty nervy of a MS forum member to say that Dell is responsible for making Windows work. It was not Dell but MS that claimed that Win10 has most of the necessary drivers and if not then the Win7 and Win8.1 drivers would work.

I've been hoping that maybe Dell might find it in the goodness of their hearts to come up with an updated IDT 92HDxxx driver... pretty please?

I doubt that it is possible for a couple of reasons. Dell has switched from IDT to Realtek as the audio vendor so probably no longer has a contract with IDT, if IDT even exists anymore. Over a year ago IDT was acquired by another company. I don't know its current status but pretty sure the acquiring company is not going to be upgrading old IDT software. Dell itself does not write audio drivers. Even when IDT was the vendor I believe that the Win7 drivers were the final versions -- no 8 or 8.1 versions I think.

If I use the built-in Win 10 driver ("High Definition Audio Device") I can hear speakers/headphone, and switching between speakers and headphones works fine but my laptop microphone does not work ("Not plugged in").

The Windows native audio driver does not support external mic jacks. That's a MS "known issue". MS ought to implement support for the jack but there is no indication that it will. Meanwhile you have a couple of workarounds. You could switch back and forth between the native and IDT drivers. At some point Win10 might let the IDT driver work correctly. Or get an inexpensive usb audio jack for the mic. The usb jacks run off of the Windows native usb audio driver and so not dependent on the IDT driver.

10 Posts

August 30th, 2015 10:00

Jim,

Thank you so much for your lengthy and thoughtful reply. Yeah, I believe IDT was acquired by some outfit by the name of Tempo.
www.temposemi.com/about
Therefore, I have already been emotionally preparing myself in the event that a new driver will never be produced. I'm hoping that the last part of your reply comes true - that perhaps some day Win 10 will allow the old IDT driver to work properly, or perhaps a future Win 10 driver will recognize my microphone.

I have found a klunky way around the worst aspect of this. For example, if I'm listening to something on YouTube and I plug in the headphones the sound switches to headphones. If I unplug the headphones I lose all sound (sound does not switch back to speakers). But I discovered this: if before unplugging the headphones I stop the YouTube playback and exit out of the browser (turn off the audio source completely), I can then successfully make the headphone-to-speaker switch while on the desktop. At that point I can once again bring up the browser and YouTube and continue playback using the speakers. Silly - yes. Klunky - yes. But it works and life is full of compromises.

Thanks again Jim.

John D.

p.s.
Dang it, I spoke too soon. Even using my klunky method I ended up losing sound completely at which point the only way to get it back is to reinstall the driver (either one).

10 Posts

September 17th, 2015 08:00

Hi Iain,

I've found a reliable way to un-bork the audio driver when it chokes.

I'm using the latest Dell IDT 92HDxxx audio driver (IDT_92HDXXX-HD-AUDIO_A03_R297613).
Microphone works, speakers work, speaker/headphone switching is still problematic.
Switching from speakers to headphones (or visa versa) while on the desktop seems to work reliably.
But switching from speakers to headphones (or visa versa) while in a program that is producing an audio source (like YouTube) will bork the driver (no sound out of speakers or headphones). 

When that happens I've found that I can quickly get it working again by doing the following:

1) go to Playback Devices
2) double-click Speakers/Headphones to bring up Properties
3) select the Advanced Tab
4) click Restore Defaults
5) click Apply

So at least I can continue doing what I was doing without having to reinstall the driver.

John D.

September 15th, 2015 21:00

John & Jim,

Having experienced the same issue and of course discovering that Dell  suggests, quite correctly that this is a Windows 10  issue to solve, I am still disappointed that Dell does not seem too interested in at least communicating with Microsoft regarding this issue for a product (E5520) that is sold as a "road warrior's" machine.

I move back and forth between my office in Vancouver Canada and a couple of locations in China. Skype and particularly Skype Out is key for my business.  I am sad that my three year old machine will only work, reliably,  using Win7.

I have been a Latitude user for the last 14 years - I hope John's "pretty please" is seen  and hopefully Microsoft will fix this perplexing problem for the many road warriors who depend on Dell.

Incidentally John I have my own "klunky"  jury-rig solutions - using/not using my replicators, booting, rebooting - it is quite odd - my experience is similar to your "youtube" report.

Thank you both for your comments and answers - at least I no longer think I am going crazy!

Iain (aka wydercider)

136 Posts

September 16th, 2015 17:00

John & Jim,

Having experienced the same issue and of course discovering that Dell  suggests, quite correctly that this is a Windows 10  issue to solve, I am still disappointed that Dell does not seem too interested in at least communicating with Microsoft regarding this issue for a product (E5520) that is sold as a "road warrior's" machine.

I move back and forth between my office in Vancouver Canada and a couple of locations in China. Skype and particularly Skype Out is key for my business.  I am sad that my three year old machine will only work, reliably,  using Win7.

I have been a Latitude user for the last 14 years - I hope John's "pretty please" is seen  and hopefully Microsoft will fix this perplexing problem for the many road warriors who depend on Dell.

Incidentally John I have my own "klunky"  jury-rig solutions - using/not using my replicators, booting, rebooting - it is quite odd - my experience is similar to your "youtube" report.

Thank you both for your comments and answers - at least I no longer think I am going crazy!

Iain (aka wydercider)

I took a step to upgrade my trusty e5520 to Windows 10 recently and discovered that apart from this very same audio problem, everything else works flawlessly under Windows 10. The audio problem essentially makes the PC useless as a tool for communication via Skype. Drivers included in Windows 10 don't work perfectly with e5520's audio, officially Dell does not support Windows 10 with e5520 and the suggested workaround is to use ages old Dell driver for Windows XP dating back to March 2011.

Turns out that the last Dell driver for IDT HD92xxx ( downloadable as DRVR_WIN_R297613.EXE ) is actually Dell version of IDT driver version 5.10.6324.0, January 2011. Since that time IDT has published several later versions of their drivers, but unfortunately none of them have been made available via Dell for e-series Latitudes.

There is an IDT High Definition Audio Codec driver, version: 6.10.6496.0, published in November 2013 for Windows 8.1. I installed this IDT driver in my e5520 and it works now fine without a single issue with Windows 10. Gone is the annoying problem of the disappearing sound after using headphones or poor sound quality. So far I haven't noticed any undesirable side-effects for using this un-official audio driver, but of course there is always a risk for that when using drivers from a third party.

To be honest, Dell's driver policy is a bit disappointing, at least in this case. The sound chip manufacturer has published several years ago a driver that apparently would make e5520 and probably several other e-models Windows 10 compatible, if it was only made available via Dell and properly tested. I would expect that an active driver publishing service for a laptop is available for 3-4 years after the purchase at least.

Steve

10 Posts

September 17th, 2015 08:00

Hi Steve,

I had tried other IDT 92HDxxx drivers before without success. I found the 6.10.6496.0 version of the driver that you speak of on softpedia.com

drivers.softpedia.com/.../IDT-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-61064960-for-Windows-81-64-bit.shtml

Where did you find version 6.10.6496.0? I'm hesitant to use drivers from sketchy sources (not saying softpedia is sketchy, just being cautious).

John D.

136 Posts

September 17th, 2015 09:00

John,

I got the driver through Microsoft's update catalog at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx . I would think that it is a rather reliable source. Do a search with "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" to find all the drivers. A word of warning though; the latest is 6.10.6504.0 which is for Windows 10. That one did not work properly for me, but 6496 did. If you installed previously the old Dell driver, it would be best to uninstall it first. Otherwise you end up having two different IDT Audio Control Panels in Windows; Control Panel.

Steve

10 Posts

September 18th, 2015 07:00

Steve -

Well this is weird - I had tried the drivers on the MS Update Catalog before without success. In fact I had specifically tried the 6.10.6496.0 driver before but was warned "this driver is not intended for your hardware". I loaded the driver anyway and it caused a full-blown system crash. I tried again last night with the same result.

When referring to my Latitude E5520, Dell often includes the qualifying phrase "(early 2011)". It makes me think that there is a "late 2011" version or "2012 and later" versions of the E5520 (?).

To confirm that I wasn't losing my mind I checked my hardware IDs against the hardware IDs noted on the MS Update Catalog 6.10.6496.0 driver.

My hardware IDs are:

The hardware IDs shown for the MS Update Catalog 6.10.6496.0 driver are:
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2ace
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2af3
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2b17
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76f3&subsys_103c2af7

The device numbers are different so that explains why the driver crashed my E5520. What I don't understand is how you are successfully using the driver - what are your audio driver hardware IDs?

John D.

1 Message

September 18th, 2015 08:00

i had problems with this to

10 Posts

September 18th, 2015 16:00

Steve, 

I did a Win 10 upgrade from Win 7. Once I confirmed Win 10 activation I did a clean install onto an unpartitioned SSD. No trouble at all with either process.

I'm actually OK with my situation now - the old Dell IDT driver works, I just have to remember to close everything and be on the desktop when I switch to/from headphones. If I forget, there's a quick way to reset everything. (Of course I still wish Dell would provide an updated Win 10 IDT driver for the E5520.)

Thanks for the input.

John D.

136 Posts

September 18th, 2015 16:00

John,

Sorry to learn that it did not work for you. My hardware ID's are identical to yours in my e5520 assembled in mid-2011 in Ireland. I wonder if the upgrade method of Windows could have something to do with this. Since my PC was shipped with Windows 7 originally, it went through an upgrade to Win 8.1 earlier (via Win 8 on the way). As I assumed that two earlier OS upgrades may have left lots of debris, I installed Windows 10 twice; first as an upgrade from Win 8.1 and after that a clean Windows 10 installation using "Reset PC" from inside Win 10.

Steve

October 20th, 2015 06:00

I just learned that my microphone on my Latitude 5520 no longer works after upgrade to Windows 10.  I can't believe Dell isn't resolving this.  I agree wholeheartedly with Iain that " am still disappointed that Dell does not seem too interested in at least communicating with Microsoft regarding this issue for a product (E5520) that is sold as a "road warrior's" machine."  Dell says it is Microsoft's problem to fix and Microsoft says it is Dell's problem to fix.  Unbelievable that in 2015 we're still hearing this finger pointing, lack of responsibility from major manufacturers.  Of course there is probably a third party who makes the microphone, but i have no idea who that is. 

This laptop is not old and should be supported.  I can only say I'm glad I'm not the only one who has reported this as a problem.  How long is it going to take Dell to resolve this?

219 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 18:00

Steve -

Well this is weird - I had tried the drivers on the MS Update Catalog before without success. In fact I had specifically tried the 6.10.6496.0 driver before but was warned "this driver is not intended for your hardware". I loaded the driver anyway and it caused a full-blown system crash. I tried again last night with the same result.

When referring to my Latitude E5520, Dell often includes the qualifying phrase "(early 2011)". It makes me think that there is a "late 2011" version or "2012 and later" versions of the E5520 (?).

To confirm that I wasn't losing my mind I checked my hardware IDs against the hardware IDs noted on the MS Update Catalog 6.10.6496.0 driver.

My hardware IDs are:

The hardware IDs shown for the MS Update Catalog 6.10.6496.0 driver are:
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2ace
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2af3
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76c7&subsys_103c2b17
hdaudio\func_01&ven_111d&dev_76f3&subsys_103c2af7

The device numbers are different so that explains why the driver crashed my E5520. What I don't understand is how you are successfully using the driver - what are your audio driver hardware IDs?

John D.

The SUBSYS device IDs beginning with "103C" indicate the hardware vendor is Hewlett-Packard [HP].

Your SUBSYS ID of 1028049A begins with "1028" which is hardware vendor for Dell.

The 6.10.6496.0 IDT audio driver will never work on your Dell computer unless you modify the STWRT64.INF file to include hardware ID "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E7&SUBSYS_1028049A" and doing that will cause the drivers to be non-WHQL (unsigned).

219 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 18:00

John,

I got the driver through Microsoft's update catalog at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx . I would think that it is a rather reliable source. Do a search with "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" to find all the drivers. A word of warning though; the latest is 6.10.6504.0 which is for Windows 10. That one did not work properly for me, but 6496 did. If you installed previously the old Dell driver, it would be best to uninstall it first. Otherwise you end up having two different IDT Audio Control Panels in Windows; Control Panel.

Steve

The 6.10.6504.0 drivers are NOT designed for use under Dell computers - only for IDT audio devices on few select HP and Toshiba laptops as the hardware SUBSYS device IDs begin with either 103C or 1179 (not 1028).

Dell has to pay Tempo Semiconductor Inc (TSI), the new driver provider for IDT HD audio, to write new drivers for certain Dell machines that have IDT audio chips on there.  So far, Dell hasn't committed into doing that.

10 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 08:00

Erpster05 - 

Thanks for the very informative input. I suspected that the 6.10.6496.0 IDT driver on the MS Update Catalog was intended for HP laptops. I don't understand how Steve loaded it on his Dell unless he edited the STWRT64.INF file.

I've been using the original Dell IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio Driver on my Win 10 E5520. It seems to work fine as long as I turn off all audio sources before switching from speaker to headphones or visa versa. If the driver does get borked I can reset it quickly within the playback devices interface (Speaker Properties/Advanced Tab/Restore Defaults). 

Thanks,
John D.

No Events found!