Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

December 9th, 2008 15:00

Latitude E6400, Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN Drops Connections

I just recieved my Latitude E6400 today. I like the laptop, but the Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN adapter continually drops my wireless connections to my home Linksys WRT54G access point and router. This is a version 5 Linksys unit running in mixed b/g mode with WEP encryption. It is running with a unique SSID which is not broadcast.

At first, my connections would drop and it seemed related to the Control Point software preinstalled on the E6400. So I uninstalled the Control Point System Management and Connection Management software, and this seemed to result in a small improvement: I can do a download successfully, but if I'm idle any amount of time the connection drops. This last makes me think power to the Wifi Link card might be getting turned off somewhere if there is no activity. However the Control Point Security Manager software is still installed (as it came from the factory) and might also be contributing to the problem.

I believe this is the first time I've used an 802.11n-compatible wifi card in my home.

The driver version for the Wifi Link is 12.0.0.82 and is dated 07/08/2008.

The Linksys access point has been here a couple of years and is running Linksys firmware version v1.00.6. It is set up for 128-bit WEP encryption. I've had numerous laptops connect to it, all with older Broadcom b/g cards, and as long as the WEP encryption is set properly there has not been a connection problem.

I'm going to a Panera now to see if I can duplicate the connection dropping issue.

Help is much appreciated.

Bob Cochran

13 Posts

March 18th, 2009 06:00

We found the same thing.  What is disappointing is that a lot of the world still uses WEP and for all our staff memebers, there is no way of knowing what they might run into during their travels abroad.  It would be nice if there was an additional solution besides the two we talked about where the battery life was good and people could work on any access point regardless of encryption type.  I am hoping Dell will work with Intel and figure something out on this one. 

Oh forgot to mention, we don't have bluetooth on our laptops.

Zenworks911

1 Message

May 5th, 2009 02:00

After some reading It looks like the problem is in the power configuration.

I looked in to the advance settings of the card and I had to disable couple of settings.

So for the XP version

Right click on your wifi

Properties

Configuration

Tab Advance 

Minimum Power Consumption     (disable)

Power Save Mode                      (disable)

5 Posts

May 5th, 2009 06:00

Daulfin, Thanks for the info, but I don't see those settings under the Advanced Tab.

I'm running driver 12.2.0.11 from 11/17/2008 and those options don't seem to be availible.

Could you be more specific? Thanks!

3 Posts

May 12th, 2009 22:00

ok guys, save all the trouble, uninstall all DCP (Dell Control Manager), turn laptop off and on, reset wireless using window, and it works like a charm.

5 Posts

May 13th, 2009 06:00

Hi Fore, Thanks for the tip.  I have DCP installed, but not the "Controlpoint Connection Manager" module. I've been using windows to manage my network connections all along. Have you found that simply not having DCP installed makes the wireless drops go away?

Thanks!

3 Posts

May 16th, 2009 20:00

yes, uninstall all DCP and no more drop.

3 Posts

May 29th, 2009 05:00

Hello all of you,

I believe this is the first time I've used an 802.11n-compatible wifi card in my home

I also have a lot of problems. So first uninstalled DCP, no real help. I could connect (enabling .n and .g) to an open NETGEAR WiFi SSID here in the street (yes some people still do that, it seems;-). But I was not able to connect properly to my BT voyager 2110 Wireless router. Short message were possible (checking e-mail and downloaing e-mail), but web access was not really possible. So I needed to disable the 802.11.n option and from then on it became much better. But there were still sometimes problem (like not properly downloading some web pages). Repair the connection helps.

If I restrict the speed further to .b (so remove the .g), it works nice (but only up to 11 Mbit/s:-(, which is not that good when one wants to do video editing over the wireless, using a storage server on the network). The Voyaher does .g (http://prices.cnet.co.uk/0,39100441,18034581,00.htm ) and I see this speed of 54 Mbit/s when monitoring the WiFi's with inSSIDer program, so there is still sometimes something going wrong somewhere. Any help is welcome.

I also still look to have a power issues. After my laptop has hibernated there are SOMETIMES problems I need to repair my wireless connection.

Hope this helps for others.

All the best,

Victor

4 Posts

June 9th, 2009 14:00

Hello from my side,

I had similar problems. Configuration: DELL Latitude E5500 with the Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN card. My solution after 2 months testing:

• Uninstall DCP (the network part - perhaps not even necessary)
  • Update to the latest Intel driver (12.4.0.21)
  • Download and install the Intel wireless wifi connection utility tool (12.4.0.0)
  • Go to the network settings, Wireless Network-Settings
  • Disable (untick) "QoS-Planer" and "Network Monitor Driver"

Thats it. I left power settings and other stuff untouched ("Standard setting").

Hope this helps you as well.

Best regards

Claus

June 10th, 2009 08:00

we just tried it on several E6400 and E4300 and the problems disappeard on all notebooks after installing the Dell systemsoftware.

1 Message

June 10th, 2009 08:00

I've been having all those problems that you guys describe. It's independent of the router I've replaced a syslink with a new belkin N ... I've tried everything but nothing seems to work... EXCEPT when my cell phone is connected to my E4300 bluetooth. Clearly, by either disconnecting bluetooth ot having it occupied, the connection is stable.

3 Posts

June 14th, 2009 16:00

Thats it. I left power settings and other stuff untouched ("Standard setting").

Where can I find this .network settings',' Wireless Network-Settings'

I don't find it in the 'Control Panel' or in the 'Intel wireless wifi connection utility tool'.

Thanks for the help.

All the best,

Victor

4 Posts

June 15th, 2009 02:00

Where can I find this .network settings',' Wireless Network-Settings'

I don't find it in the 'Control Panel' or in the 'Intel wireless wifi connection utility tool'.

Thanks for the help.

All the best,

Victor

As I am using the German version of Windows, it should be: Control Panel - Network Connections - Wireless Network -> Properties:

"This connection uses the following..."

Regards

Claus

1 Message

June 15th, 2009 03:00

This...

Disabled BT & it works perfectly!!

3 Posts

June 16th, 2009 14:00

Ok, found this now. I do: 'Start' -> 'Control Panel', -> 'Network Connections' -> Rigth click on the 5300 AGN icon -> 'Properties -> 'General' -> 'Configure...'

But I don't see these in the driver information (I have hard driver 2.1.51 and software 2.4.0.21: 04/03/2009).

The only thing with QoS in the Properties is 'Ad Hoc QoS' (but I am not using an Ad Hoc network). And I see no 'Network Monitor Driver'. Sorry...

All the best,

Victor

June 29th, 2009 13:00

To get mine working with an older (plus 3 years) Netgear router and without changing from WEP I used the last four settings given above

"From the Advanced tab of the wireless card driver, make the following changes: Power Management - Highest, Roaming Aggressiveness - Lowest, Power Saver Mode - Off. Also on the power management tab, disable power management."

AND specified "802.11b only" in the Wireless Mode setting. Perhaps the last would have been sufficient, but I think I tried that without the others and it did not work.

I should mention I got rid of the control point for the wireless software too. I am still able to use Bluetooth.

No Events found!