Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2013 21:00

Latitude E6400 video problem

I just got a refurbished E6400.  It came with Win 7 Pro 32 bit, but I had a Win 7 Pro 64 bit install disc, so I installed that instead (along with switching out the 2GB RAM it came with for 6GB from my old laptop.  Since the reinstall, I've been having sporadic problems with the display.  If I move the mouse over the garbled text, it restores itself.  It seems to happen in any kind of screen (it's not limited to just a browser or whatever).  I've attempted to update the video driver, but I might be doing something wrong.  

Is this machine capable of running as a 64-bit machine?  Or am I overtaxing its capabilities?  There is zero lag... just this display weirdness.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

September 20th, 2013 23:00

Hi scottrainey,

Yes, the system is capable of running Windows 7 64 bit.

The issue could be related to the drivers or the video card itself. I will suggest you to run the diagnostics on the system. The steps are:

• Shut down and restart the computer.
  • Press the F12 key immediately when the Dell logo appears. The Boot Device list appears.
  • Select Diagnostics and press the Enter key.

If there are no issues found with the hardware, update the video driver for your system.

To look for the correct drivers, check the video card description under ‘Display Adapters’ in ‘Device Manager’ and download and install it from the link http://dell.to/1bx3lyi. Select the Windows 7 64 bit operating system from the drop down.

The steps to check the video card in ‘Device manager’ are:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen 
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’
  • Click > sign next to ‘Display adapters’

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

September 22nd, 2013 20:00

Hi Kuldeep,

I think I've got it figured out.  After re-installing Windows, I was still encountering the problem.  Initially, it showed up after I installed Google Chrome, and the symptoms mostly disappeared after uninstalling Chrome, but they didn't go away completely.  I went through and downloaded all of the newest drivers through the Dell software update site, but I was still having the problem.

Finally, on a hunch I decided to play around with the memory.  I have a two DIMMs installed - one 4GB and one 2GB.  Knowing that machines sometimes have troubles with non-matched memory modules, I removed the 2GB DIMM, and the problem seems to have disappeared!   I'll post again if it happens again, but it seems things are okay now.  Thank you for your help.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

September 24th, 2013 05:00

Hi scottrainey,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

No Events found!