Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2012 10:00

Latitude E6430 Port Replicator Not Detecting Multiple Displays

Hello all,

I'm trying to get an E6430 going for an internal customer and am running into a problem. Our standard set up in the office cubes is to have the port replicator hooked up to a pair of displays to allow for extended desktops. With this new machine, it only detects one of the displays when plugged into the port replicator. Even more strangely, it only detects a monitor if its plugged into the replicator's VGA port. If you then open the laptop lid, it functions like there are two displays.

System Specs:

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1

Core i3

8 GB RAM

240 GB SSD

So far I've tried:

1) Deactivating Optimus in the BIOS

This causes ONE of the DVI-D ports in the replicator to start working, but it still only detects the one. The other monitor plugged into the other port gets no signal, and I can't force it to detect. 

2) Flashing the BIOS to latest

No dice.

3) Installing latest drivers for the Intel graphics

Still unable to detect. Also, the Intel graphics driver only seems active if Optimus is enabled in BIOS, which once again causes only the VGA port to work.

4) Updated the chipset

Nothing.

5) Tried using a DVI-D to DisplayPort  adapter for the second monitor

DIdn't work.

6) Disemboweled a chicken and read the entrails

Amazingly enough, this didn't work either.

At this point I'm at  a loss and wondering if something screwed up the HAL or something equally arcane when I installed Windows 7. I really only see wiping the system and starting again from scratch as viable at this point. Anybody have any ideas before I go complete scorched earth?

2 Posts

October 5th, 2012 10:00

I just discovered the answer today: I had previously checked video card updates, and found two, and installed them. But in re-checking I found that they were for 32 bit Windows OS - the laptop I was having problems with has the 64 bit OS. Once I downloaded and installed that driver fix - problem solved!

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

I'm having pretty much the EXACT same problem! I've tried two different types of docking stations, swapped out cables, downloaded updates - all to no avail. No answers yet for you - it's been over a month since you posted!?

3 Posts

I did ultimately get this working, but only by completely rebuilding the machine. I found that I had to install the nVidia drivers that came on the driver CD shipped with the machine--even though there's no nVidia card present! Unfortunately I'm still baffled and I can't really give a clear answer on how I got it working. My best guess right now is to look at the graphics drivers and see what you can find.

3 Posts

Nice, I'm wondering if that's what I did in the first place :/ . Glad you were able to find a solution that didn't involve blasting it and rebuilding.

1 Message

Running into a similar problem here, will provide notes shortly.

No Events found!