Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 7th, 2010 19:00

Latitude E6510 Blue Screen (BSOD)

I own two new, identical, Latitude E6510 laptops. They both blue screen about twice a week. These are used for business and tonight I was talking on the phone with a client for about an hour, taking notes, when I received the BSOD.

I believe the issue is with the video card driver, as I will sometimes get windows notifications of video driver failure, followed by a screen flicker. I think the BSOD's I'm seeing are times where windows is unable to recover from the same problem.

I've found a few unresolved discussions with other E6510 owners and think this issue must be affecting a lot of people. Please post if you've encountered this or have any ideas for resolving it. Thanks!

13 Posts

October 7th, 2010 19:00

Five minutes after posting this I found the Dell site has a newer driver out for the Nvidia card. Will install and see how it goes.

13 Posts

October 9th, 2010 20:00

Installed the new video driver from Dell and laptop encountered BSOD again a few hours later. I own two of these systems, they are identical and both suffer from this problem. Anyone else seen this...?

1 Message

October 11th, 2010 01:00

Yes. We have three E6510 of which two exhibits this problem. The funny thing is that they have different BIOS versions, A03, A04 and A05. The one with A04 does not crash. We run both Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) and Windows 7 and both system crashes randomly. Sometimes just hangs and sometimes just shuts itself down. Sometimes spontaneously reboots.

1 Message

October 21st, 2010 15:00

We've got an order of 30+ and all have this problem. Still unresolved and no help from Dell yet...

November 6th, 2010 13:00

I have a potential fix for this issue. I encountered this problem on three separate laptops (both my own and 2 others at work), and found that a combination of upgrading to the A05 BIOS and upgrading the video driver appears to have worked. All of my computers were running nVidia graphics cards, and the driver from Dell was not sufficient, I had to download it directly from nVidia.

First, (on windows 7), go to "device manager" and look under "display adapters" to see what video card you have. If its a nVidia model, go to:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

To find your driver.

[If it helps, my computers all had an "NVS 3100M" series, which can be found by choosing "Quadro", "Quadro NVS Series (Notebooks)" "NVS 3100M" "Quadro graphics driver", selecting your operating system, and downloading the file.]

Once your driver is installed, restart your computer, and your blue screen issue should be gone (at least, it has disappeared for me).

Good luck, and hope it helps!

1 Message

November 12th, 2010 10:00

I too am having this issue, tried Techiewill's suggestion (which did stop my NVIDIA driver errors that did not cause BSOD), but still had frequent issues.  I installed Microsoft's Debugging Tool for Windows and looked at several of the mini-dump files, and they all pointed to the following file:

e1k6232.sys

Searching for this file lead me to determine that it was related to my Intel82577 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.  Went to Dell and updated the driver, and have been BSOD free thus far today.

Will advise if it ends up not being the fix, but wanted to let others know if it might help.

K

1 Message

November 18th, 2010 13:00

I don't have an Ethernet adapter on my system but I have experienced the same random crashes

as other E6510 owners so updating the Ethernet adapter can not possibly be a solution to this

problem. All too often, this type of annoying problem motivates people to look for the "real" solution to

the problem but when I contacted Dell support, no real solution was made except an offer to

replace my new E6510. So it was clear to me that Dell has not come up with the "real" solution

to this problem and it was highly unlikely I was going to come up with the real solution myself. So,

my strategy from the start was to come up with a work-around. We are dealing with new hardware

AND new software so these problems are to be expected. The first thing I did was disable my pc from

automatically rebooting on system errors by unchecking the box "Automatically Restart" at :

Start->Control Panel->System and Security->System->Advanced System Settings->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->Settings

I know that many people bought the E6510 for its power saving features but it is my suspicion that

these sleep and hybernate modes cause havoc with the current installed driver(s) so my goal is to prevent

my E6510 from ever getting into these modes in the first place so select "Never" or any combination of selections

that prevent the display from ever going into sleep or hybernate mode at:

Start->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Power Options->Choose when to turn off the display

When I made these simple configuration changes, my E6510 stopped randomly crashing so it looks like

the "real" solution has somthing to do with the display driver in conjuction with sleep/hybernate. It would be great

if Dell could deliver the solution but I am not going to start holding my breath waiting for the fix. For now, my work-around

works and I can get some work done.

1 Message

November 30th, 2010 02:00

So I experienced the same problems (im running Windows 7 Prof. edition 64bit  on a latitude E6510 with NVS 3100M ):

* graphics driver kernel stopped and restarted

* once in a while a bsod

The frequence of a bsod was maybe once a month, the graphics driver that was being stopped and restarted occured around once per hour.

As of 2 days ago the problems got worse, I installed the latest driver (260.99) hoping to resolve the issues but instead the driver was stopped and restarted around 35times in only 15 minutes. Being unable to do anything + a couple of BSOD which bombarded me I decided to start the system in safe mode. There I disabled the graphics card under devices. Rebooted the machine and everything was working as it should although not as smooth as normal since I was not using any graphics card now. So I did a clean install of the nvidia drivers (this is an option somewhere in the setup menu), after it installed the drivers I went to the nvidia configuration page. There I set the option  "Power Management Mode:" to "Prefer maximum performance" instead of "Adaptive". Rebooted again and since then I have not had any graphics driver related issues while working (browsing, using matlab, word , excel...). Also the problems of watching videos which seemed corrupted and locking up my system has vanished. (screenshot and explanation of the nvidia config page can be found at: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html )

Hopefully the same solution works out for anyone having the same problem as it did for me ;).

PS: the above suggested solution of tweaking the power modes (hibernate and sleep) of the display did not work out for me but somehow hinted me towards the solution I describe in my post above.

1 Message

May 6th, 2011 13:00

I know these posts are quite old, but our company has experiences a similar situation with about 6 of the E6510 models.    Besides the BSOD we had issues with the USB ports, losing network drive connectivity, issues with video, applications choking and probably others.    We have rebuilt all of these machines, probably multiple times, and downloaded/loaded more "updated" drivers that we care to mention.     We even contacted our sales rep to see if there were any documented problems.   None were reported at that level.  

So when i doubt call support!!!!    Since we had gold support on at least one of the system we were able to get into a very high support level queue.   Once that happened and we described the problems, the techie quickly realized the problem...memory modules, yes memory.   Memory was stepping on anything and everything loaded into it.   With the service tag and timeframe of the purchase they were able to absolutely confirm this.  Apparently there were a known bad batch of 4 gb memory modules that were accidentally mixed in with the good stuff.   These were sent out installed in machines.    So call suport and ask for memory modules if your E6510 has 1 or 2 x 4gb module in it.

1 Message

October 26th, 2011 17:00

Old post or not, i am glad you posted it. I will give it a try and post back if it solves my issues too. My Laptop got shipped im May 2011 with 2x4gb of RAM...

1 Message

October 26th, 2011 18:00

If it is real reason of BSOD in latitudeE6510, why don't  DELL recall this laptop?

First time in case, I updated BIOS based on  DELL's support, but a few hours later my LCD was gone.

Now E6510 is terminated in product line of DELL. How can I do for protecting buyers' right?

1 Message

December 11th, 2011 23:00

I'd like to join the chorus too..i have been getting BSOD frequently on my E6510 with NVS3100M and it's always re. the display driver. Have been changing driver from Dell and from Nvidia to no avail.

My next laptop can't be a Dell again..

1 Message

February 20th, 2012 08:00

Hello to all.

I have a E6510 with the Nvida 3100M video card and I am having the same problem of random BSOD, driver faults, etc.

For the past several months I have tried several different things to fix this problem based on several forum suggestions.

Replaced the memory modules with 8Gig of brand new memory

Installed Win7 32 bit Ultimate twice, installed another hard drive with a fresh copy of XP

I fully updated all OS's to the latest and greatest and installed the latest Nvidia driver from the Nvidia web site.

Also backed up and deleted the latest Nvidia drivers and installed the latest Dell drivers for this machine.

I have the latest Bios A11 running and still I get random reboots and BSOD.

No matter what I have done I always get either a BBC code of 116, 117, or a BSOD.

The video card is updated to the latest Bios for the video card. It is not overheating.

I will let the machine just sit over night with nothing running and it will still crash due to a video driver reset issue.

I really like this laptop, but I other than completely having the video card or PC replaced I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions from the group?

THANKS!

18 Posts

July 13th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

I also own Latitude e6510, I know there are few problem persists (like overrheating) with this model so they discontinued this model.

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installed on this machine with antivirus. Drivers always are always updated. I never seen blue screen of Death either in Windows 7 or Ubuntu.

But for Nvidia card I hv always updated from the Nvidia.com,

I would suggest

1.  upgrade the OS from 32bit to 64 bit.

2. Get the appropriate driver for your video card model from nvidia.com

3. have anti-virus software updated

and it should never crash.

Rgrds,

Ravi Kumar

No Events found!