Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 5th, 2015 06:00

Latitude E7240 freezing when waking from sleep on battery

We have purchased and deployed a number of Latitude E7440's and E7240's and we are running into an issue with some of the E7240's.  When waking from sleep while on battery power, the machine will start to wake, the display will come back and I can move the cursor but within a second or two, the cursor will freeze and the machine will become totally unresponsive.  This doesn't happen on AC.  I've set the power plan to 1 minute and tested over and over again and it is reproducible every time.  The only way to recover from it is to power off the machine via the power button and restart it.

Right now this is happening on the original end-user's machine and 1 other deployed E7240 we were able to get back and test.  I have a couple of other E7240's deployed and I have an email out to the end users to bring them in so we can check them too.   

I've upgraded the BIOS from A09 to A13.  I've tried switching wireless control from Intel to Windows.  I've updated to the latest drivers on the Dell support site. 

Machines are i7, 256GB SSD with 8GB RAM running Windows 7(64) Enterprise

20 Posts

February 5th, 2015 07:00

There is a new BIOS version out, A15, dated today (Feb 5, 2015) but I get a message saying internal server error when I try to download it.  Looks like the links are broken.

1 Message

February 21st, 2015 08:00

Did you ever get any resolution to your sleep issue that you described for the E7240.  I just got one of these and having very similar problems.  Anytime I let it go into sleep mode it is very likely to not wake back up properly.  It is not 100% of the time but a significant percentage of the time to the point that I am afraid to use the sleep mode at all.  Mine is very similar configuration: Windows 7 Enterprise, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM.

With respect to BIOS update I was only able to find A14 - no A15 version.

6 Posts

April 13th, 2015 14:00

I completely appreciate your frustration.  I've been fighting this issue for over a year now.  I feel as thought I've been down every road to figure out this problem, but keep running into a dead end.  There's another post about this issue here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19541100

What are you guys using to deploy Windows?  

1 Message

April 14th, 2015 05:00

I also have the problem. Installed A15 today but no luck. I have it on 3 E7440 and 4 E7240.. Using WDS with latest win7 x64 iso from Microsoft...

Talked to Pro Support today and they wanted me to install Win 8.1 and test is the machine still has problems... What does that help accept me beeing out of computer for one work day...

1 Message

July 29th, 2015 09:00

I have the same problem with my E7440.  about 95% of the time it freezes when coming out of sleep.  Has Dell not even weighed in on this issue in this forum?  I'm also seeing other weirdness w.r.t. sleep (for example I set power options to NOT sleep when closing the lid...for obvious reasons...and it still sleeps).  I've tried disabling a few different storage-related devices (from other forums) but no luck.

6 Posts

July 29th, 2015 11:00

So, I think we finally found this fix for the "black screen of death" issue.  It appears to be related to, no joke, the O2 Micro OZ777xxx/OZ621XX Memory Card Reader.  After updating this driver we haven't gotten any reports of the machine not coming back from sleep.  Now, not all of these machines include this brand SD reader; I think the O2 Micro one is the only one that's causing problems.  We manage all of our machines through KACE, and the driver repository wasn't getting updated for this one, that's why we were stumped.  We stumbled across another forum that pointed to the O2 driver (sorry, I don't have the URL to give credit), but you're right, Dell has been zero help with this.    

When you close the lid, the laptop may not be really sleeping, only the screen will turn off (then not back on in your case).  This function is built into the hardware of all laptops with either a sensor, magnet, or hinge, and has nothing to do with Windows settings.  

No Events found!