Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2015 08:00

Latitude E7440 - Sound not coming through headphones

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Latitude E7440 laptop running Windows 8.1. I have been having issues with no sound coming in through headphones plugged in through the headphone jack (sound will only come through the built-in laptop speakers). I have tried several fixes including:

-Setting headphones as default playback device (my laptop groups speakers and headphones together, so it is not possible to choose one over the other).

- Removing battery, holding down power key for 30 seconds, restarting

-Updating Realtek Audio driver

-Uninstalling Realtek Audio driver (and deleting files), then restarting computer so the native audio driver is used.

I have had the most success with using the native audio driver (after deleting and uninstalling Realtek). However, when I do this, I have sound coming from both the headphones and the laptop speakers. This will work for a day or two, then I will begin having no sound coming from the headphones again (despite running the native audio driver). 

I don't know if this is a hardware or a software issue. I don't think it is a hardware issue since I am able to get headphones to work some times. Does anyone have any new ideas or guidance? I am debating getting a USB adapter for my headphones, but I am not sure that would solve the problem if it is a software issue.

Thanks for the help in advance!

1.2K Posts

May 8th, 2015 03:00

Hi ,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum!

The fact that the system responds to the audio port intermittently shows that the port is working fine.

I would suggest you to try performing these steps in the same sequence and then advise the result since you have already switched your Realtek audio driver to the Windows native audio driver and issue is not yet resolved .

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box and hit Enter).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

I hope this helps .If  there are any more queries do reply to this post .

Have a great day ahead!

Kindest Regards,

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 9th, 2015 06:00

I am debating getting a USB adapter for my headphones, but I am not sure that would solve the problem if it is a software issue.

The usb jacks are very inexpensive and to me would be worth the risk that it might not work. You could test for hardware failure (or fix the software if it is a software issue) by resetting the laptop back to the original factory configuration, but for many people it would be worth a few dollars to try to avoid doing that.

Usually when headphones are not detected by the Realtek driver but are when using the native driver, the solution is to completely remove the Realtek software the way you did it and then install an earlier version of the Realtek driver. However it is hard to figure out your laptop's symptoms. Normally if there is the same symptom with both the vendor's driver and the native driver, that is strongly suggestive of hardware failure because both drivers are not likely to have the same bug at the same time. In your case though I wouldn't bet on it either way.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2015 07:00

I finally solved the problem a couple of weeks ago by completly uninstalling the realtek audio drivers. Inside the device manager right click the realtek driver and choose uninstall. Confirm the following question to delete the driver files permanently from harddisk. After rebooting the are only two "high definition audio-device" driver instances listed beneath "Audi- Video and Gamecontroller". Inside the properties they say

vendor: microsoft
date: 22.08.2013Version: 6.3.9600.16384

It works for me now. Sometimes there is a hard cklicking noise if the soundsystem is initalized but i can accept that.

Good luck
Andy

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 9th, 2015 06:00

[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

Hello Jennifer. I had made some changes to my step-by-step instructions for switching from the vendor's audio driver to the Windows native driver, but in the version you posted I had not yet corrected that last sentence. It should have said "reverse the names in steps 2 and 7".

The current version is:

1. Open the Device Manager (Control Panel>Device Manager) and expand the "Sound, video and game controllers".
2. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" to open the context menu.
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio Device" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

1 Message

June 5th, 2015 12:00

I have the same problem as Elizabeth1579 but it is intermittent.  Sometimes the audio will switch over and sometimes it won't.  The Windows audio indicators say that sound is passing through the system but when my headphones are plugged in, no sound comes out.  When unplug them, the speakers work. Uninstalling and re-installing the drivers every time this happens is not an option.  This should be a main use case for audio drivers and I would like to understand the timeline for an updated driver that fixes this issue.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 6th, 2015 04:00

updated driver that fixes this issue.

I doubt that any of the Dell social media people who are on these boards would have access to that information. Their function seems to be to sell Dell's out-of-warranty service. But there are 4 audio drivers available to you right now (assuming you have 8.1 like Elizabeth1579).

> The Windows native driver -- instructions posted earlier in this thread.

> The current Realtek audio driver.

> The previous Realtek audio driver. Note that if you want to try an earlier version, it is best to first completely remove any newer version. Do it by by finding the Realtek driver in Device Manager under Sound Controllers, right click on it and select to Uninstall, and check the box to "delete the driver software for this device". Reboot and recheck Device Manager. If Realtek shows up again then repeat the process until there are no longer instances of Realtek there, then install an older version.

> Realtek driver direct from the Realtek site.

You can see all of the Realtek versions that Dell supplies for the Latitude E7440 at its HTML page.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/latitude-e7440-ultrabook.html

The ones with the "WB" symbol in the OS column are the Win 8.1 versions. There are 2 of those and 4 for Win 7 & 8.

I would not be surprised if it works with the native driver but not with one or more of the Realtek drivers, because we have seen this problem on other models with Realtek. I think some of their drivers are not calibrated correctly re impedance sensing and thus failing to detect the headphones. If none of the drivers fixes the intermittent jack issue then I would think it is a hardware failure.

June 11th, 2015 16:00

Hello

I have the same issue with one user where the sound work but opn a random basis he lost sound during a call

dell exchange the board and the daughter board same thing

I try different driver same thing but everytime it was with the jack connector

anyone ?

June 12th, 2015 09:00

hello it was like that since day 1 no software change  the mother board and daughter board replaced  ..

<

i have to test to see if sound work work after jack removed  if i use the generic driver tehre is no sound from the jack

Thanks

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2015 09:00

Hi ,

The information which you have provided is not sufficient .I would ask you to confirm if this issue was seen after any software changes or after system's hardware was replaced .Also do confirm if the audio was heard via speakers.I suspect this to be software issue hence reinstalling drivers should fix the issue,however do send the service tag info ,operating system installed on  the system via private message so that I can check the details to assist you better .

Awaiting your response.

Kindest Regards,

1.2K Posts

June 15th, 2015 11:00

Hi PETE ,

Regret the inconvenience ! But do send in the test reply confirming the status of the system after the jack was removed .

Kind Regards ,

2 Posts

August 11th, 2015 12:00

Hello,

I can confirm the audio problems with the E7440. I am an IT Pro and I never had such a painfull audio devices like the E7440. I'm running Win 8.1. I do a full test with different installations and audio driver combinations. Allways starting with a complete new installation from scratch. Nothing has solved the problem. If I switch from one youtube video to an other while on headphones often the audio stop. I unplug the headphone, audio works, replugging no audio. Sometimes it helps to close and reopen the browser (ie, firedfox or chrom, it's always the same). Sometimes it helps to stop the video, waiting 30 secondes an restart. The audio jack is really pain. I rember the times when an audio jack work like a mechanical diversion, good old school stuff.

As a workaround I'm using a littel usb audio device from logitec. It's barley bigger than the headphones audio plug and I have not to confirm any annoying dialog like "do you plugin a headphone or a toaster?"

Best regards,

Andy

2 Posts

November 6th, 2015 07:00

Confirm, have the same problem, and I really consider change my laptop. I have never had that problems... It;s sick... :|

1 Message

November 27th, 2015 09:00

This helped me, I had the same problem with Latitude E6540.

That fixed the headphones, but now the built-in speakers don't work.. :(

Thanks anyway.

G

It's a shame for Dell to have a problem like this in the 21st century with a high-end laptop..

1 Message

November 30th, 2015 05:00

Hey

I have DELL Latitude E7440 and I used headplugs wiht it few days ago. Since then the built-in speakers do not work. Any advice what could be wrong or is there anything I could try? I have tried pluging the headplugs in and out fast, restart, and the installation trick mentioned here above. 

Hope for help!! 

-M-

1 Message

April 28th, 2016 14:00

Hi Team ,

I was seriously disturbed installing the sound and bluetooth drivers from dell support and downloads to make my bluetooth device entry in playback devices( tried with realtek drivers and the drivers provided by microsoft for windows 7). But none worked

Can you suggest me any driver to play bluetooth device using Latitude E7440.

Thanks and Regards

Ashutosh Gupta

Adobe systems

No Events found!