Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2009 06:00

Latitude Z touchpad

The touchpad on my Latitide Z600 seem to be experiencing intermittant mouse pointer movement issues.  For no apparent reason, and only occasionally, the touchpad stops moving the mouse pointer.  I find that I have to pull my finger away from the touchpad surface to sort of "reset" it.  Almost like it is building up an electrical charge on the surface or spuriously detecting a "phantom touch".  When this happens, I look down to see where my other hand/fingers are in relation to the touchpad.  In some cases, it is near the touchpad, but is NOT touching it.

This is my third Dell laptop with a touchpad and I have been very pleased to date.  Not sure what is different about this one, but it seems a bit touchier.  (yes, I have experimented with various Control Panel settings, and have even turned OFF all the extra gesture features).

In all other respects, I love the Latitiude Z.  However, I use the touchpad a LOT, and this tempers my overall experience.

Anyone else experiencing this?

April 6th, 2010 22:00

Hasn't anyone noticed how glitchy the touchpad is when you are just in the BIOS SETUP?  That means it's not an OS or driver issue causing this.  It's either a BIOS or hardware glitch.

I definitely experience non-smooth, jumpy or outright ceasing of movement of the touchpad.  Not good.  

I currently use an Apple Magic Mouse (which works great, btw, with the proper drivers), and am happy with that solution, but there are times when the touchpad comes in handy.  It would be nice if it actually worked and wasn't so frustrating that I wanted to jam a screwdriver into it's heart!  :)

1 Message

April 9th, 2010 11:00

I'm having the same problem. tried updating the bios but that didn't seem to do much of anything. it's really annoying on such an expensive laptop to have a flaky touchpad. i spend a lot of time in meetings and it isn't really practical to bring a mouse along in that setting. I find the same behavior where the trackpad stalls and there's no real settings that give reasonable speed and enough sensitivity. multi-touch is even worse, i've disabled everything but two fingered scrolling which basically is unusable as well. 

7 Posts

April 11th, 2010 08:00

I'm having similar issues with the touchpad, just failing to work and now the keyboard pausing and dropping key stroke.  The machine was working famously for the first 2 months, now issues are starting to arise. I've raised a support request and I'm working with a tech on the problem, but I don't have the time this week to rebuild my machine as was suggested after reinstalling the touchpad driver failed to resolve the problem.

May 4th, 2010 22:00

New touchpad driver released on 05/03/2010 (May 3, 2010).  Lots of fixes for sensitivity issues!

Will be installing it tomorrow and doing MUCH testing!

Will report back.

5 Posts

May 5th, 2010 05:00

Thanks! I just installed it, and the first impressions are positive. Good luck

5 Posts

May 5th, 2010 11:00

Here you go:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

3 Posts

I think I found it:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=LAT_Z600&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Then, expand "Input Device Drivers"

Then, download the one that applies to "multi-touch touchpad"

3 Posts

Thanks for the info - I'm searching Dell.com for the driver download, but can't find it - do you have a link to the download page?

7 Posts

June 1st, 2010 11:00

The new driver from the link in the post above yours fixed mine. Have you tried it yet?

2 Posts

June 1st, 2010 11:00

I have the same issue. No resolution yet.

I can't believe it's been 6 months and there is no clear resolution.

Dell, get the ball rolling on this one. We paid $3k for a laptop, it should at least have a functioning touchpad.

2 Posts

June 1st, 2010 16:00

I have. I'm using those drivers right now. I've reformatted as well. It's not working the touchpad is still having these issues. 

1 Message

June 4th, 2010 15:00

I'm having similar problems.

My pointer will freeze for no reason. It will sometimes start working again. Also, the zoom in zoom out multitouch will enable itself without me wanting it too however that is possibly bad habits and leaving my off finger too close.

I've been using Ubuntu because it works better.

6 Posts

July 10th, 2010 16:00

A simple google search turns up all sorts of results of people with similar problems. Either he never heard of google or he's lying to you.

1 Message

September 7th, 2010 13:00

Disable the Dell EdgeTouch Application from the Startup.

To do so;

Select Start

Within the blank dialogue box type: msconfig

Press Enter

Under the Startup Tab, Uncheck the box next to Dell EdgeTouch Application

Select Apply

Select Ok

Restart your computer to allow changes to be applied

1 Message

January 6th, 2011 12:00

Good Afternoon.

I'm trying to determine how to shut off the touchpad.  For most other laptops, there is a bios setting for disabling the touchpad.  Unless I missed it in the bios setup screens, I did not find it there.

Is there another way to shut off the touch pad?

Thanks in advance for your help.

No Events found!