Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2011 04:00

Latitude e6400 and SSD drive - BIOS incompatibility?

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude E6400 (BIOS A27) and Vertex 2 120Gb (Firmware 1.27)

I've gone through the following process 2 times with 2 different drives:

Win7 x32 install, Win7 updates, couple of reboots all works fine. Then I installed programs copied data and PST files to the SSD. All works fine.
BUT then after SHUTDOWN and then booting the system again, it returns to a point in the past! (all the programs and Data is gone!)

In OCZ support forums, several users are reporting the same (http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?81537-Win7-x64-REBOOT-works-fine-SHUTDOWN-corrupts-boot-sector)

It looks a BIOS problem, any thoughts?

Thanks!

January 31st, 2011 12:00

Same exact issue with my Latitude e6400, Someone at Dell please respond as a lots of people with sandforce based ssd's are encountering the same issue.

March 5th, 2011 15:00

I'm running into the same problem with my E6510 BIOS A06 and a 320 GB OCZ Vertex 2 drive.  It sounds like OCZ is indicating that they are working with Dell on a fix (possibly in firmware 1.30 pretty please).  I attempted installing Win7 multiple times including following Dell's and OCZ's instructions for Dell laptops but I end up with Windows detecting that there are startup problems that it can't repair.

June 8th, 2011 21:00

you are not getting it either place.. be smart and move on to intel's corsair's samsung or even Kingstons... I moved on long back... OCZ and dells dont play well together and both obviously dont care about us the customers.. so you know what to do next.. :emotion-2:

9 Posts

June 8th, 2011 21:00

" It sounds like OCZ is indicating that they are working with Dell on a fix"

link?

I'm on my 2nd RMA with an OCZ Vertex 2 drive. Same deal basically as described here. Everything fine. Shutdown. "O/S Not Found" Rinse. Repeat. I'm not sure I'm going to try this 3rd drive in there until there is some assurance won't waste my time setting this up.

I'd also like some more information from a official person from Dell or OCZ. All I've found so far are forum trolls throwing out speculation and hearsay.

9 Posts

June 8th, 2011 22:00

Ha!. Probably wise advice. What did you move on to if I may ask? I'm not looking for top-tier, just something better than what's in there already.

June 8th, 2011 23:00

February end 3 months ordeal with OCZ starting Nov end.. Just went with Kingstons in Apr/May as those were cheap to boot. a tad  slower in real world performance from OCZ or Intels but sufficient enough to get a buzz atleast those work day in and day out... specific model V100+ all for under a 100 bucks for 96gb.

win 7 score 7.1 vs ocz vertex 2 sandforce 32nm at 7.2 (cpu 1055T 6 core, 16 gb corsair on asrock sata 6gb, radeon 6870) on dell latitude 6400 (p9600 2.66 ghz) the score was tied.

save the money.

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 16:00

Unfortunately it looks like the entire E series of Dell Latitude has big compatibility problems with a lot of different SSD drives.

My problem is with Dell Latitude E5520, updated to latest bios (A07)
Only HDD in the system is SanDisk Ultra 120GB, updated the firmware to latest (365A13F0)

When powering the system on, I get  "no boot device detected. Press any key to reboot". After I press on any key, the system reboots and starts normally without any glitch.  Looks like the Bios in E5520 doesn't detect SanDisk at all on the first try, but once soft rebooted it finally detects it.

I spoke to Dell tech support and they also hinted that there might be a compatibility issue. The irony is that SanDisk ultra 120GB works on dell D630 (older generation laptop) without any problems. The windows score for this SSD is 7.7

Is there any hope I can solve this issue without purchasing a different brand SSD or a different Laptop?

Thanks.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2012 03:00

It seems I have resolved the part of my problem by booting from a win 7 recovery disk and running a repair. I still get "No boot disk detected" error after computer wakes up from hibernation. I can live with that. Don't know if repair from the recovery disk would help with OCZ drives but it's worth a try.

9 Posts

June 25th, 2012 06:00

It's now been a year since I had all these issues with my OCZ drive. Happy to report the drive has been working smooth and I've had no problems after trying everything from BIOS updates to chipset drivers to tweaks in windows. Since then, I've come to believe the sum of issues was caused default SATA operation mode (enabled in BIOS), once I set that to AHCI everything worked smoothly.

I haven't dug around too much, it appears this option also slowed down the maximum throughput of the drive - however, it's still fairly quick and a working slower drive is better than a dead quick one...of course.

Good luck!

1 Message

June 17th, 2016 01:00

Sorry Rajeev but you are WRONG when you said:

..."Just went with Kingstons... a tad  slower in real world performance from OCZ or Intels"...

Kingston is MUCH faster than OCZ --- because it actually WORKS!! :emotion-5:

June 17th, 2016 06:00

Lol kudos to you for making this discussion alive after 5 years. Wonder how many e6400's remain in function today. Actually ocz worked but was write once after install and then it was read only. In one way dell/ocz could have marketed that flaw as a security feature. As well as performance feature. Lol

No Events found!