Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2017 13:00

Latitude e6530 Audio Has Stopped Working

Everything was working fine and then I had to go and upgrade the RAM.  I upgraded it from 8 to 16 GB.  At first the USB ports and audio both did not work.  I updated drivers and the USB ports seem to be working OK.  The audio still is not working.  I have re-installed the chipset drivers and the audio drivers.  Still nothing.  Dell recommended a bios update.  I tried that twice and it failed both times.

I am at a loss.  Please help.

4 Posts

May 20th, 2017 07:00

Anyone have any suggestions?  I didn't realize how much I used sound until I didn't have sound.

Thanks.

4 Posts

Thanks for trying to help.  Here is more information.

There is no sound through either the headphones or speakers.  Their is no mute symbol.  The sound meter moves when there is supposed to be sound, just no sound.

I was very careful when I removed and replaced the back.  But even with that, is it possible I may have "unplugged" something?

Thanks again.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

I can't really think of anything. Never heard of adding memory as a cause of loss of audio. My main suggestion would have been to re-install the Realtek audio driver, but you already did it.

When you say no audio, how does the symptom present itself. I assume no audio through either speakers or headphones, right? But do you get a mute symbol on the taskbar? In the Windows Sound dialog, does the meter next to Speakers move?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

the Realtek audio driver

Sorry, I should have said "IDT" audio driver.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 20th, 2017 08:00

This is the laptop's frame, looking at it from the top (keyboard side). The speaker cable runs between the yellow lines. The large red circle is where the memory goes, and the small circle is the audio port.

So even though the memory is sort of close to the speaker cable, even if it were somehow dislodged by the memory module it seems like audio ought to still go to the headphones. But the symptoms you described do seem like something has become disconnected.

I have never disassembled a Latitude so am not speaking from experience. Maybe someone on the Laptop General Hardware board would know more about the hardware placement.

4 Posts

May 20th, 2017 08:00

OK, thanks.

No Events found!