Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2009 14:00

M1530 XPS with Windows Vista Corrupt Files and Missing Programs

My XPS laptop was working normally and all of a sudden a popup started showing up at the bottom of the screen saying there were corrupt files and I needed to run chkdsk. I would get this popup for several different listed files. Then, I went to my start menu and all programs and saw that almost all of the programs on my computer were gone...including all preinstalled software such as Microsoft Office. I restarted the computer and when I tried connecting to the internet, it had forgotten the key to my wireless internet router that I have been using for the past two years. Every time I log out or restart my computer, I have to type in the password key to connect to my wireless internet. I am still getting the corrupt files messages and still have no programs!! Also, when I tried to run a check on the hardware it says it can't run it if it is in use and gives me the option to schedule on startup but since my internet and everything else seems to reset on startup, it never runs a chkdsk scan! HELP!!!!!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 8th, 2009 19:00

Power on, press F12, load the Dell diagnostics and run the extended -- not just the quick -- hard drive test.

No Events found!