Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 5th, 2012 13:00

M6700 Expresscard trouble

I have a new Ivy Bridge M6700 and have been trying to use an Expresscard/54 Compact Flash adapter. I've had the adapter since 2007 and it has worked without fault in my XPS M1710 and Twinhead H12Y ever since.

If I install the adapter into my M6700, running Windows 8 Pro (just like my other two laptops) it adds over two minutes to my boot times, before I even get to see the setup screen and once in Windows if I try to use diskmgmt.msc it causes a delay of over two minutes before the Virtual Disk Service connects. The problems only occur if I leave the adapter empty. If I insert a CF card or remove the adapter altogether then the problems vanish. Device Manager reports the adapter to be working correctly using a native Windows driver.

The inclusion of the Expresscard/54 slot was a significant feature influencing my purchasing decision. To find that it works poorly is not welcome.

This is the adapter I am using....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Flash-Reader-Writer-CompactFlash/dp/B003KJCZ88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273233434&sr=8-1

I can find no other Expresscard/54 CF adapters on the market today. Given that the adapters (I actually have two) both work in two other laptops, including one Dell machine, implies there is a fault with the M6700. Any suggestions for a fix?

No Responses!
No Events found!